Buyer – Commercial
Company: TOTE Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Purchasing/Procurement
Publish Date: June 19, 2019
Company Description: Since 1975, TOTE Services has provided full technical management and partial management/ crewing services for nearly one-hundred vessels of various sizes and configurations. We know that great companies are built by great people who embody our company’s values and vision. Whether we’re hiring for a shoreside or seagoing position, we look for people who can help us provide the world’s best ship management, marine operations, and vessel services. TOTE Services strives to lead the industry in safety, quality, and operational excellence and the TOTE Services team is critical to our success. www.toteservices.com
This position coordinates activities involved with procuring goods and services such as raw materials, equipment, tools, parts, ship repair services for organization, and compiles information and records to prepare purchase orders for procurement of material and services by performing the following duties.
To apply for this job please visit www.careerbuilder.com.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews requisitions after Port Engineer approval.
- Solicits vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule. Issues requests for quotations as required.
- Verifies nomenclature and specifications and prepares request for quotation.
- Reviews quotes and bid proposals and negotiates purchases within scope of authority.
- As needed shares technical data on quotes with vessel senior officers and port engineers to ensure quoted items are correct.
- Selects vendors for purchase award based on best value with confirmation from assigned Port Engineer.
- Compares prices, specifications, and delivery dates.
- Issues and approves purchase orders upon Port Engineer’s approval of RFQs.
- Maintains procurement records such as items or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance, and inventories.
- Discusses defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors, and others to determine source of discrepancy and take corrective action. Any corrective action taken shall be documented in the purchasing directory for future reference to all buyers.
- Serve as expediter of purchases, including consolidations with freight forwarders, to meet vessel schedules.
Confers with suppliers concerning late deliveries.
- Checks status of overdue invoices.
- Modifies POs as requested.
- Meet with vendors to discuss their material portfolios.
- May be required to send new vendor profile packets to potential new vendors to complete.
- Completes annual vendor evaluations.
- Serve as back up to other buyers in case of absences.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Company in any necessary duties to achieve Company goals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma; and two to three years related procurement experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or technical procedures.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret and apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in a variety of written, oral, diagram, or schedule format.
- Comprehensive knowledge of various software programs, including Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of purchasing and acquisition procedures; Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR); and GSA Federal Supply Service Procurement procedures.
- Prior maritime experience preferred.
Physical Requirements of the Position:
- Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Visual requirement equal to that for clerical administrative whose work deals largely with preparing and analyzing data and figures, accounting, transcription, computer terminal, extensive reading, etc.