Business Development Director
Location: San Francisco
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Sales
Publish Date: October 30, 2019
Company Description: Since 1976, AMNAV Maritime Services is a leader in ship-assist, tanker and barge escorts, marine construction support, salvage, emergency response, military operations, shipyard vessel assist, logistics for oversized equipment, and vessel and barge towing services in the San Francisco Bay and Long Beach/Los Angeles Area. At AMNAV, we consider our employees to be our single greatest strength as well as our most important asset. We are proud to be in the company of individuals who are highly trained, seasoned, dedicated, and entrepreneurial. We channel all of our “human resources” to maximize our capabilities to exceed service expectations. We strive for a work environment that emphasizes respect for the individual, teamwork, accountability, and open communication.
The Business Development Director will develop sales in the ship assist, tanker escort and offshore towing markets with both new and existing accounts, primarily on the US West Coast. The Business Development Director will build AmNav‘s book of business by leveraging existing relationships as well as prospecting, developing and closing new business opportunities primarily through face to face meetings with customers. This position reports directly to the President of AMNAV.
AMNAV is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. AMNAV is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.
- Strong knowledge of the maritime industry, and able to build business relationships with customers.
- Knowledge of tug and barge operations and applications to harbor services lines of business highly preferred.
- Generates marine project business through utilization of owned and chartered in assets.
- Under the guidance of the President, establishes utilization goals of company assets and strategic sales plans to achieve them.
- Directs growth strategies.
- Develops business case strategies for growth or divestiture in market segments.
- Maximizes contact time in the field and develops market penetration with existing and potential clients.
- Acquires and maintains knowledge of competitive market.
- Acts as the first point of contact and entry point in the assigned market place.
- Represents the company in industry functions and seminar attendance to heighten marketplace visibility.
- Provides analysis and guidance in service segmentation and pricing strategies.
- Supports managers in evaluation and preparation of bids and RFP's.
- Manages negotiations of contracts, renewal or first time bids and resulting administration.
- Manages the coordinated response to project RFP's.
- In conjunction with the President, manages the economic analysis and pricing for projects.
- Provides analytical support for RFP's, bids, and other business development efforts.
- Fosters cross-selling opportunities with affiliate companies when appropriate.
- Provides budgets, plans and forecasts in compliance with company standards necessary to predict assigned business segment activity.
- Compiles and publishes various statistical information for business analysis purposes.
- Utilizes company technology platforms including CRM and SAP to develop business analytics including actual and projected sales field activity information.
- Travels as required, including domestic and international trips.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication and human relation skills in dealing with customers and employees.
- Ability to deal with difficult and stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Ability to prepare coherent written scopes of work, plans and reports.
- Ability to make decisions in areas of rate development, customer relations, problem solving that impact company profit and loss.
- Ability to work with all levels of associates.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload; comfortable in an unstructured environment.
- Able to perform duties with minimum direction.
- Able to be a team leader and mentor to other employees.
- Capabilities to develop, understand, interpret and analyze accounting and financial information for preparation of proposals.
- Computer proficiency, including MS Office Suite, SAP, CRM.
- Expertise in Excel modeling and pricing strategy.
- Use of financial consolidation software and analytical tools.
- Knowledge of competitive marine industry environment and relationships between companies (vendors, customers, competitors).
- Knowledge of ship assist and regional towing business dynamics, including volume and cost impacts.
- Ability to analyze and handle confidential information.
Bachelor's degree in business or transportation management required; 6 - 8 years' work experience in the marine industry with a minimum of seven years' experience in projects or project management. An MBA, maritime-related graduate degree or leadership and management training strongly preferred. Foreign sales experience strongly preferred. Extensive, in-depth knowledge of the organization, operations and advanced knowledge of sales techniques as applied to maritime projects is required.
Work is performed in a normal office environment. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel will also be required and may include foreign trips. Demands from both customers and management often occur simultaneously and cannot necessarily be satisfied within a standard workday. Entertainment of clients or prospective clients is expected within company guidelines and those of the clients which may occur outside of normal business hours. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.