Legal Department Assistant
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Part Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Administrative, Legal, Risk Management
Publish Date: December 19, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
This is a support position of the Risk and Claims department, reporting directly to the General Counsel. Strong oral and written communication skills are necessary to interact with departments within the company as well as outside contacts.
Legal Department Related Functions
- Open and sort mail and maintain any department related email inbox(s).
- Filing, hard copy or electronic, as appropriate.
- Supports contract management flow process.
- Maintains all legal invoicing and payments.
- Handles various written correspondence.
- Assists General Counsel in quarterly reporting to parent company.
- Assist with department operations
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
Claim Related Functions
- Responsible for opening, updating and closing claims in Origami and SAP Hana.
- Maintain claim files.
- Manage and/or assist in claims accounts receivable and accounts payable, including SAP Hana functions.
- Assist vendors with claim processing.
- Assist in compiling documents for discovery requests.
- Prepare and submit OSHA documentation.
- Certain duties as assigned by Claims Manager.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Detail oriented.
- Work independently and problem solve.
- Proficient in oral and written skills.
- Able to draft, edit and redline documents as directed.
- The ability to interact with co-workers at all levels of the company, sister, subsidiary and parent companies as well as outside contacts.
- Ability to multi-task and function with numerous interruptions.
- Microsoft Office, including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Origami, Legal Tracker, and SAP Hana.
This position requires a "yes" point of view with a willingness to jump in and assist department members on tasks. High School Diploma or GED required, some college classes preferred. Experience in a Legal or Risk department strongly preferred, experience in an office environment is required. Minimum of 5 years' experience required. Strong experience in Microsoft Office Suite and Serengeti and/or Origami preferred. Experience in SAP very helpful. Managing department/client receivables and payables experience required, familiarity with claims receivables and payables strongly preferred.
Work is performed in an office environment, with minimal travel. Overtime hours are rare. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.