Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Customer Service
Publish Date: April 9, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Responsible for receiving customer and internal job orders for local harbor and regional towing assignments as well as any other region specific job orders. Dispatches the system-wide movement of tugs and barges and other resources as required by the local region. Makes effective use of marine radio, telephone, and personal communication with customers, crews and fellow employees. Completes accurate daily paperwork and reports. Responsible for Vessel tracking and monitoring for Foss, Tropical shipping and TOTE Services vessels. Responsible for monitoring weather conditions with specific emphasis on utilization of alerting tools and technology to provide fleet operations support.
Planning and Scheduling
- Receives orders and job changes from external and internal customers.
- Maintains radio communications with division vessels; interfaces with customers and management regarding vessel orders and reports
- Utilizes the dispatch system as the primary tool to plan, schedule and coordinate movement and events of company vessels and other regional resources.
- Plans, schedules and coordinates the movement of tugs, barges and other equipment to meet and exceed customer requirements. Assigns most appropriate equipment in the most efficient, cost-effective manner possible.
- Creates incident reports as clearly defined by approved processes and procedures.
- Utilizes latest technology tools to track and monitor vessels globally.
- Utilizes latest Weather technology.
- Coordinates with regional pilotage authority dispatchers as needed.
- Directs vessels and crews to respond in emergency situations.
- Reviews ship and oil terminal schedules; coordinates vessel movements to maximize utilization and minimize non-revenue running time.
- Evaluates the need to purchase third party tugs to minimize the impact of service disruptions with customers.
- Maintains and archives local company records including all daily paperwork.
- Inputs all necessary data into the dispatch system.
- Prepares reports as needed.
- Maintains radio watch and proper FCC VHF log.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Writing and communications abilities.
- Excellent mathematical skills as they related to good accounting practices.
- Knowledge of ports and facilities within the respective geographic location.
- Marine equipment and capabilities, understanding of tides, currents and marine weather conditions.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal relationship skills to effectively interact with customers, agents and crews.
- Strong computer skills.
- Good analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide direction and leadership to vessel crews.
- Ability to be detail oriented and work independently.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.