VP Human Resources
Company: Northern Aviation Services, Inc.
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: June 4, 2019
Company Description: Headquartered at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport in Anchorage, Alaska, Northern Aviation Services (NAS) is comprised of six operating companies — Aloha Air Cargo, Aloha Tech Ops, Northern Air Cargo, Northern Air Maintenance Services, StratAir and NAS Contract Services. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our workplaces operate a high level safety, providing reliable best-in-class customer service, while maintaining a strong commitment to the communities we serve. NAS Contract Services provides best-in-class aviation logistic expertise and support services including logistical support to oilfield and other industrial projects, charter aircraft services, terminal management and transient aircraft services.
Northern Aviation Services, Inc.
Position Title: Vice President, Human Resources
Reports to: President & CEO, Northern Aviation Services
As a key member of the executive leadership team, the Vice President, Human Resources (VPHR) provides both the leadership, as well as the hands-on day to day management of HR, to deliver best in class people strategies. The VPHR is an experienced and motivated HR professional who has significant depth in all areas of HR, including labor relations. The VPHR partners with operations leaders and HR staff to help drive operational efficiencies with a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the mission, values and objectives of NAS. The VPHR role will be located in Seattle and will travel regularly to Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida, the primary operational hubs, as well as other locations as needed.
Northern Aviation Services is a wholly owned subsidiary within the Saltchuk family of companies, providing a range of aviation related support services primarily in North America with revenues of over $220 million. Through our operating brands, Northern Air Cargo, Aloha Air Cargo, and StratAir we collectively transport over 250 million pounds of freight annually via our scheduled cargo service in Alaska and Hawaii and on-demand charters throughout North and South America. Other services include third party aircraft maintenance, management services and consulting expertise, aviation support services for large-scale industrial projects, and scheduled freighter service throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. Our nearly 1,000 employees are committed to providing safe and reliable service for our valued customers which include most major freight companies and air cargo integrators in the markets we serve.
• Develops and implements appropriate HR policies and programs for effective management of the people resources for all NAS locations including Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida.
• Champions a safety-oriented, accountable environment throughout the organization.
• Actively partners with leadership to maintain positive employee and labor relations partnerships. Assists with union negotiations and interpretation of collective bargaining agreements including participation in grievance proceedings.
• Partners with the president/CEO and leaders to support the strategic vision of the company and fosters a culture that enables all employees to contribute to that vision.
• Establishes credibility throughout the organization with management, employees, and union leaders in order to be an effective listener and problem solver of people issues.
• Collaborates with managers to resolve everyday issues and develops HR strategies to achieve optimal departmental and organizational effectiveness.
• Develops staffing strategies and implementation plans to identify great talent within and outside the corporation for positions of responsibility.
• Develops progressive and proactive compensation and benefits programs to provide motivation, incentives and rewards for effective performance and short and long-range health and welfare protection of employees.
• Ensures that all employees are meeting or exceeding performance expectations; and helps coach and counsel leaders as needed to make adjustments to improve performance with a focus on continuous improvement.
• Ensures that HR key metrics are in place to regularly measure and support the company’s attainment of operational, financial and people related objectives.
• Develops human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and develop programs for filling the gaps. Areas of activity will include talent management through proper succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, training and development programs for preparing employees for more significant responsibilities, leadership development, and general business development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business.
• Serves as a change agent, ensuring employee engagement, and delivery of reliable service to customers to support the ever changing needs of the business.
• Leads and develops a team of HR professionals. Participates on the Saltchuk family of companies HR leadership team on a variety of organization-wide initiatives.
To apply for this job please visit www.nac.aero.
• 10+ years HR leadership experience in an environment that requires both hands-on and strategic skill sets.
• Broad and deep experience in all functional areas of HR, including labor and employee relations, performance management, talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, leader development, regulatory and wage and hour compliance, employee communications and management coaching.
• Knowledge of Collective Bargaining Agreements, works to resolve union and management issues and coordinates grievance meetings and company answers in conjunction with Labor counsel.
• Strong skills in HR systems, HR process implementation, and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Outstanding business acumen, including planning, analysis, critical thinking and decision making.
• Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with people at all levels, demonstrating integrity and credibility.
• Experience in dynamic, growing organizations with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and delivering results through people and systems.
• Experience working in a union environment highly desired.
• Experience working in highly regulated operational environment (FAA, TSA, DOT etc.)
• Preference for using data driven HR business analytics and insights to provide HR recommendations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a strong ability to communicate well with all levels and personalities as well as deliver presentations to large and small groups.
• Highly collaborative and effective at building partnerships.
• Ability and willingness to travel as needed, including extensive travel to Alaska, Florida, and Hawaii, particularly during the first 6 to 9 months.
• Bachelor’s degree in business or related field; SPHR, MBA or related preferred.
Qualified candidates should apply by sending their resume and cover letter to:
Erin Kittleman, Sr. Director, Human Resources, Saltchuk
450 Alaskan Way S Suite #708| Seattle, WA 98104
NAS is part of Saltchuk which is a family of diversified transportation and distribution companies with a vision to serve our customers by being the best in North America. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our organization -- in a work environment where anyone would be proud for their children to work. To learn more about either NAS or Saltchuk, please visit www.northernaviationservices.aero or www.saltchuk.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer