Vessel Planner – Riviera Beach Job ID 9297
Location: West Palm Beach
Company: Tropical Shipping
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Other
Publish Date: May 2, 2021
Company Description: Tropical has been rated as "best place to work" in the shipping industry for 10 years in a row. Employees enjoy our team spirit & work ethic and many have been with us for as long as 30 years. From those in the office to the team loading docks and conducting ship work, Tropical employees across the US, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business. We see diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, and competitive advantage. We hire great people and our teams feel a lot like family. Together we do outstanding work and we enjoy a fun healthy work life balance.
Manages all vessel stowage company wide by service string on current and future voyages based on cargo and empty equipment requirements by utilizing equipment information and load lists from pertinent computer software systems and port personnel. Manage and communicate vessel movements with all pertinent parties. Assist in managing and planning all labor, freight handling equipment, and materials necessary for terminal and stevedoring operations to meet vessel schedule commitments. Ensures Dangerous Cargo Manifests are created, updated, and distributed to all vessels as required. Confirm appropriate government documentation is submitted for all port entries. Ensure all ports and ships receive proper EDI files for vessel stowage and operations. Perform operational follow-up and correcting terminal and vessel plans where needed. Manage integration of EDI capabilities into T-Link. Maintain management of Powerstow vessel stowage software.
To apply for this job please visit www.tropical.com.
- Responsible for the management of vessel port calls and timely loading and unloading of vessels to maintain schedule integrity and adequate equipment supply to meet the demands of internal and external customers.
- Decision maker on when to sail a vessel, bypass a port or hold a vessel for operational reasons.
- Maintains communications with ports and vessels to update appropriate personnel regarding schedule changes and cargo operations.
- Monitors and assists out port operations personnel with terminal and vessel stevedoring operations to ensure optimal company-wide port and vessel operations.
- Identify opportunities for operational improvements in the out ports to initiate continuous improvement projects to drive improved results.
- Creates and distributes to all terminals and stevedores the most optimal and efficient vessel pre-stow plan which takes into account all of the principles of vessel stowage, stability, utilization and port restrictions, utilizing pertinent freight handling equipment and cargo booking information from computer software systems, vessel personnel, and port personnel.
- Responsible for management and maintenance of the vessel voyage schedule in close coordination with the long-term schedule, fleet deployment, maintenance and repair, weather routing, and commercial optimization.
- Responsible for determining and ordering all necessary stevedoring labor, freight handling equipment and other materials required for terminal and stevedoring operations to meet schedule, operational, and service commitments.
- Manages and communicates all vessel movements with all pertinent parties including Port Managers, Operations Managers, Trade Lane Mangers, Terminal Managers, Equipment Managers, Agency Managers, Vessel Masters and any other contacts as required by each individual port location.
- Ensures that all ports and ships send and receive the proper EDI files for vessel stowage and operations. Conducts operational follow-ups and corrects plans where needed.
- Manages and monitors the integration of EDI communications and capabilities for vessel stowage data into the T-Link system.
- Manages vessel stowage software. This includes maintaining support files, verifying ship layouts, and contacting and obtaining software provider updates and errors.
- Ensures that all ports complete and submit Vessel Port Logs as required.
- Performs all other related duties as requested.
|EDUCATION:||Bachelor's Degree in Marine Transportation or in a related field|
|EXPERIENCE:||Three years’ experience in vessel stowage or vessel terminal operations in a maritime shipping business.|
|LICENSE:||Valid Local Driver's License. Valid Passport. Active U.S.C.G. Deck License.|
|TRAVEL:||5% Travel to both domestic and international Tropical Shipping locations.|
|PHYSICAL:||Office Environment - Manual dexterity to perform repetitive motion tasks on computer. Ability to bend or stoop to retrieve lower shelf files. Ability to reach overhead to retrieve upper shelf files. ability to sit 1/3 - 2/3 of day. Ability to travel in various modes of transportation (e.g. automobile, airplane, train etc.) Occasionally exposed to outside elements during travel.|