Vessel Maintenance/Millwright Journeyman
Company: TOTE Maritime Alaska
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Maintenance
Publish Date: August 10, 2018
Company Description: TOTE companies love tradition, but we also explore the possibilities. It’s what we’re known for. Since setting sail as a one-ship company in 1975, TOTE Maritime Alaska has become the premier provider of ocean transportation service between the ports of Anchorage, Alaska and Tacoma, Washington. We operate a fleet of (RO/RO) cargo ships in addition to providing overland connections throughout greater Alaska, Canada and the Lower 48. We built our brand on talented people, smart investments, and opportunity. We know that great companies are built by great people, and our team is growing. Working at TOTE Maritime Alaska is about pursuit of excellence for our customers and respect for our Employees. We are always seeking people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We look for pride, integrity, grit, approachability and commitment. It’s important at TOTE Maritime Alaska to be able to work productively with others. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a great place to build one.
TOTE Maritime Alaska
TOTE Maritime Alaska, the leader in safe and reliable service to Alaska, is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Vessel Maintenance/Millwright Journeyman at our Tacoma location to join our team.
Millwright Journeymen provide maintenance services and troubleshooting on mechanical equipment to maintain equipment reliability and productivity. The primary duties of this position are Vessel maintenance, including sailing with the vessel to overhaul the ships main engines; weld repair etc. Required; periodically must be able to spend a couple weeks at a time away from home, at sea or in other ports.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Drug Free Work Place
- Must work safely in an industrial environment
- Demonstrate skills as Millwright Journeyman; demonstrate all skills as a Multi-Craft Journeyman
- Troubleshoot and repair equipment problems
- Work in a multi-disciplined team environment that emphasizes a high level of communication and interpersonal skills
- Independent self-starter
- This is a union position and must be able to join our local 297 district lodge 160.
- Minimum qualifications include H.S. diploma or GED
- Three (3) or more years of industrial maintenance experience.
Other Essential Abilities and Skills:
Successful candidates will possess high standards in the areas of safety, quality, ethics, craftsmanship, customer focus and leadership. On occasion, candidates must be able to work rotating shift, holidays, weekends, and last minute call-outs.
Candidates must be skilled in one of the following areas:
- Precision equipment alignment and bearing installation;
- Knowledge of mechanical drives, pumps, seals, lubrication and hydraulics;
- Piping layout and installation;
- Welding experience, including Stick, MIG, and TIG certifications;
- Machinist skills (lathes, boring, milling machine, etc).
- Work around moving process equipment,
- Climb ladders,
- Walk distances,
- Work at heights or in confined spaces;
- Able to lift 70 lbs. is required.
- Upon gaining employment a TWIC card (Transportation Workers Identification Card) is required.