Traffic Manager – St. Thomas, USVI
Location: St Thomas Usv
Company: Tropical Shipping
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Administrative
Publish Date: December 19, 2019
Company Description: Tropical has been rated as "best place to work" in the shipping industry for 10 years in a row. Employees enjoy our team spirit & work ethic and many have been with us for as long as 30 years. From those in the office to the team loading docks and conducting ship work, Tropical employees across the US, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business. We see diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, and competitive advantage. We hire great people and our teams feel a lot like family. Together we do outstanding work and we enjoy a fun healthy work life balance.
Directs, motivates, trains and supervises the daily work activities of Traffic personnel performing shipment verification processes. Ensures compliance with legal requirements including Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) rules. Administers resources and information exchange for all cargo moving through the Terminal in a timely and cost-effective manner while achieving a high level of customer and employee satisfaction. Oversees customer contact to expedite cargo movement.
To apply for this job please visit hrwppb06v.trophq.tropical.com.
- Directs traffic functions relating to LCL shipments, including: Ocean, Air, Satellite and Interline cargo, and select full-load shipments, i.e., cargo clearing and expediting, and auditing processes.
- Manages daily activities of Traffic staff overseeing quote, booking and documentation processes and responses to customer inquiries. Ensures all deadlines are met.
- Performs general management functions, including but not limited to: budgeting, scheduling workloads, personnel actions and ensuring adherence to company policies and procedures. Forecasts trends and job requirements to assist with financial planning processes. Determines utilization of physical and personnel resources.
- Supports the trade by expediting internal departmental functions, including liaison with operating units including dispatch, intermodal, stevedoring, equipment management and warehousing.
- Develops standards for local Traffic personnel and Traffic functions. Manages the development of personnel through coaching, training classes, work groups and on-the-job training. Performs call monitoring for service quality. Conducts performance evaluations and recommends changes in salary, job status and duties. Responsible for staff performance management and disciplinary actions.
- Interfaces with U.S. Customs, other governmental agencies, and pricing and marketing groups to ensure compliance with all legal requirements including tariffs, Federal Maritime Commission regulations and export laws.Gathers, evaluates and reports information concerning customer requirements, business trends, problems and potential solutions to staff and Director of Operations.
- Responsible for submission of reports as required by the Trade Manager, including Customer Service, Liner Performance Measures, Service Failures, Ratio of Quotes to Bookings, Ratio of Contract Cargo to Tariff cargo as well as other requested reports.
- Communicates with customers, destination ports, agencies, and satellite offices to provide quality customer service and resolve service issues.
- Conducts departmental meetings on a regular basis ensuring communication of process and company requirements to all personnel.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Associate Degree in Business or in a related field.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum three years experience in the transportation industry, including a minimum of 6 months management or supervisory experience.
LICENSE: Valid Local Driver's License and Valid Passport
TRAVEL: Local U.S. travel - 5% annually. International travel - 1 to 2 times per year to port locations.
PHYSICAL: Office Environment - Manual dexterity to perform repetitive motion tasks on computer. Ability to bend or stoop to retrieve lower shelf files. Ability to reach overhead to retrieve upper shelf files. ability to sit 1/3 - 2/3 of day. Ability to travel in various modes of transportation (e.g. automobile, airplane, train etc.) Occasionally exposed to outside elements during the course of traveling.
(Education and experience minimums can be substituted with any equivalent combination of training and experience)