Tax and Staff Accountant
Company: Delta Western
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: November 21, 2018
Company Description: Delta Western is the largest independent distributor of fuel and lubricants in Alaska. With the best customer service in the business, our company has become a household name in over 250 Alaskan communities. DWP travels waterways throughout Alaska to service some of the most remote communities in the state. The company safely navigates unique and challenging river and weather conditions. It is a lifeline to these locations, delivering a whole year’s supply of heating fuel, power generation fuel, unleaded gasoline, and lubricants. Lubricants are also distributed throughout the state from our distribution facilities, freight barge, and trucks on the Railbelt highway system. The company’s core belief is that safety is our first priority. Our Safety Management System includes continuous improvement, employee involvement at all levels, and aligning employee goals with company goals. DWP gives back to the communities it serves by supporting many charitable organizations, including donating $150,000 in scholarships for local high school students. Additionally, each of our remote sites supports charitable organizations through mentoring, volunteerism, and fundraising, making a personal difference in the communities they serve.
Who are you?
You are a collaborative, creative corporate tax professional looking to join a corporate tax department and dive into a variety of business issues. You can juggle multiple and far-reaching projects at one time, with an eye for details while also keeping your eye on the big picture. You’re comfortable with new technology and excel in a service driven environment. You are an excellent communicator and can build and manage relationships across all levels of the organization.
As the Tax and Staff Accountant, you will manage all federal, state, and local tax reporting functions for Delta Western Petroleum and other NorthStar Energy operating companies to ensure full filing and reporting compliance. Your primary responsibility is filing state and local sales taxes and State of Alaska fuel taxes as well as maintaining exemption certificates for fuel resellers. You will also support the general accounting function in the areas of insurance and prepaids. You will be working as part of our accounting team, which helps support the operations of the company. You, along with your team, will help keep Delta Western on track as we take care of the communities we serve across Alaska.
What benefits does Delta Western offer?
You’ll get market-competitive benefits aimed at supporting you and your family: medical, dental and vision plans, life insurance, and disability benefits. We also practice generous 401(k) company matching to help you save for your future.
Delta Western is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Delta Western does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
- Prepare and file: all federal, state, and local excise tax and sales tax returns; federal fuel data reporting returns; and business property tax affidavits.
- Reconcile and maintain all tax accounts on the general ledger including changes in tax rates.
- Make federal tax deposits.
- Maintain tax calendars and prepare annual tax budget.
- Monitor real property tax assessments and assist site managers with real property assessment appeals and other tax compliance matters.
- Maintain all business and operating licenses.
- Manage tax audits.
- Research tax issues and monitor and implements regulatory changes.
- Prepare annual mailing for tax exemption compliance.
- Ensure the tracking and coding of insurance policies; reconcile prepaid insurance and other prepaid accounts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Tax
- 4+ years specific experience in state and local excise and sales tax and federal fuel tax reporting.
- Excellent analytical skills with experience in creating new financial models
- Strong time management skills with demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Excellent teamwork and relationship-building skills
- Advanced Excel skills and demonstrated experience learning new software
- Excellent attention to detail
- Certified Public Accountant
- Experience with Sage or MAS 100
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.