System Administrator II
Company: Young Brothers, Limited
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Information Technology
Publish Date: November 11, 2021
Company Description: Looking for career opportunities with a dynamic, fast-paced company that can result in long-term employment while serving the various communities in Hawaii? If you are, then consider a position with Young Brothers, Ltd. (YB) – on the forefront of the marine freight transportation business. We offer competitive salaries, benefits and future growth opportunities for both shoreside and seagoing careers. At YB, our employees are our most important resource and one of the pillars that help to support a strong foundation on which our company is built. We achieve this through seeking people who are team players, professional, motivated and committed to winning and meeting the needs of our customers and our communities.
Young Brothers, Limited
Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of host computers and enterprise servers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair. Maintains records of system downtime and equipment inventory. Establishes necessary maintenance routines to ensure effective operations and ensure scheduled activities are performed.
- Installs new / rebuilds existing servers and configures hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements. Ensures the configuration/build instructions are kept current and that established checklists are followed and signed off for every build.
- Upgrades and configures system software that supports infrastructure applications per project or operational needs. Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Ensures security standards are adhered to and develops new ones as required. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
- Provides Tier III/other support per requests from various constituencies. Investigates and troubleshoots the most complex issues, and leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
- Establishes, maintains and manages user accounts. Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on servers. Provides server support related to other software.
- Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, and other components.
- Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources. Designs and recommends solutions for modifications and enhancements necessary to maintain adequate security and performance as necessary.
- Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse. Manages operation of security and protection systems and services.
- Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
- Develops and coordinates project activities and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on customer / organization. Provides leadership in capacity planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
- Develops tools, procedures, and training sessions for operations and IT development staff to assist with work.
- Manages the data center and computer host systems including hardware, software and UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
- Researches and recommends innovative, and automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identifies approaches that leverage resources and provide economies of scale.
- Maintains the Knowledge Base as new issues are resolved and workarounds established.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and makes recommendations on new technology.
- May guide or provide work direction to technical staff and/or contract staff.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Server hardware, programming languages and operating systems
- Current equipment and technologies that are consistent with IT standards for networks, infrastructure, communications, workstation and software products and services.
- System administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, and system performance monitoring tools.
- IP addressing design concepts and administration
- Voice systems – analog and VoIP
- MS Office and Email software and services
- Active Directory
- Powershell & Visual Basic scripting
- Knowledge of security standards and practices as it relates to servers and hardware/software
- Patch management practices and procedures.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Plan, organize and document complex system design activities and to configure systems to be consistent with institutional policies/procedures.
- Communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal relationship skills to effectively interact with customers and co-workers.
- Establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust and credibility.
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.
- Proven project management skills.
- Ability to meet budget requirements and track/contain expenses.
- Good analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented and ability to work independently.
- Good leadership abilities and capable of providing proactive status and issue notification
This position generally requires a Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in computer science/engineering; five to eight years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Microsoft preferred.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.