Steel Shop Assistant Foreman
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Maintenance, Mechanic, Technician
Publish Date: March 6, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
- Responsible to oversee crews perform work
- Oversee set-up and use of cutting devices for aluminum plates and shapes typically including Circular Saws, Band Saws, Chop Saws, Jig Saws, Plasma cutter and cutting wheels on grinders.
- Lays-out and fabricates steel and aluminum structural parts, such as plates, bulkheads, and frames, and braces them in position within hull of ship for welding.
- Lays out position of parts within hull form, working from blueprints or templates and using hand tools.
- Locates and marks reference lines, such as center, buttock and frame lines.
- Aligns parts in relation to each other, using jacks, come-a-longs, turnbuckles, clips, wedges and mauls.
- Marks locations of holes to be drilled and installs temporary fasteners to hold part in place for welding.
- Installs packing, gaskets, liners, and structural accessories and members, such as doors, hatches, brackets and clips.
- Rigs chain falls and come-a-longs.
- Ability to identify and communicate Confined Spaces
- Able to generate Job Safety Analysis, and give direction to crew members
- Able to coach and train other employees on the job tasks
- Able to inspect and verify quality of work
- Able to coordinate work with other crafts
- Assist / Stand in for Shop Foreman with administrative duties
- Timekeeping of crew members
- Delegation of work
- Scheduling of work
- Ordering parts and equipment
- Assist with project estimations
- Able to read and comprehend drawings, blueprints & plan sheets
- Maintain organization and housekeeping in work area and shop
- Fork-lift operation
- Enter and move through manholes to reach and work in internally confined spaces.
- Transverse gangways and scaffolding at varying heights
- May be required to travel to jobsites away from Shipyard and utilize company vehicle.
- Adhere to all company safety, environmental, quality assurance and security programs
- Adhere to company policies
- Other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk & sit; use hands or fingers; handle or feel; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, squat, kneel, twist and crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds and frequently lift up to 25 pounds. Employee is required to operate trucks, forklifts & man-lifts. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel may also be required.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.