Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: September 18, 2019
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
The Staff Accountant position reports to the Accounting Manager and is primarily responsible for information tracking and consolidating, transaction processing, systems’ administration, and financial reporting. This role will support the accounting department.
Saltchuk is a family-owned, diversified transportation and distribution company headquartered in Seattle. With consolidated revenue of about $2.8 billion and approximately 6,000 employees, Saltchuk is ranked among the largest privately held businesses in Washington. Saltchuk companies provide air cargo, domestic shipping and logistics, international shipping and logistics, marine services, and petroleum distribution. We believe in – and champion – the inherent value of our companies’ individual brands. The Corporate home provides leadership and resources to our companies, but not direct management of their operations.
Although the company has grown considerably since its founding in 1982, the Corporate home employs about 50 people and has retained the collegial and entrepreneurial culture of a much smaller organization. Saltchuk is a values-driven organization, committed to safety and taking care of its employees, communities and the environment.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Perform month end close activities for the corporate office, including preparing journal entries and balance sheet and income statement analysis.
- Track and organize data from the business units and other sources for the accounting department
- Support month-end close and prepare reconciliations as assigned
- Use various system report-writing tools, especially in the Host consolidations and Axiom capital planning systems, for efficient financial reporting and processing
- Participate in consolidated lease system implementation and thereafter, be the primary system administrator
- Perform bank reconciliations, routine deposits and daily cash processing
- Be the back-up for the fixed assets’ accounting and system processing
- Manage Census bureau and other governmental reporting
- Ensure all business unit financial deliverables are received and organized properly, following up as appropriate
- Support the year-end activities including the audit, financial statements and footnote preparation
- Support Saltchuk’s Political Action Committee by submitting required reports to the Federal Election Commission
- Support year-end activities including the annual audit, financial statements and footnote preparation.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor degree in accounting, finance or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of accounting experience
- Public accounting experience preferred
- CPA or CPA eligible preferred
- Sound knowledge of GAAP
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well with others at all levels and to be of service to our business units
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to learn and operate systems such as Lawson, Host, Concur, Aristotle, and many bank websites
- Strong Excel skills