Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: February 20, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
JOB PURPOSE/SUMMARY: STAFF ACCOUNTANT
Responsible for moderately complex accounting and reporting requirements of the company and performs managerial operating or cost accounting activities. As a Staff Accountant for Foss you would effectively communicate the business needs with all levels in the company while providing the highest level of customer service.
- Conducts month end closing and reporting.
- Assists in the annual financial audit
- Tracks and reconciles GL accounts.
- Reviews company reports during month end/year end close and inquires as necessary to ensure accuracy and consistency of reported data.
- Prepares routine and complex journal entries.
- Assists in maintaining GL structure.
- Writes special reports to support operational needs in a timely manner.
- Provides support as needed to department and business managers.
- Performs balance sheet reconciliations monthly.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Critical/analytical skills and systems analysis/evaluation.
- Basic accounting and GAAP principles, accounting software and computer systems.
- Excellent oral and written comprehension and expression.
- Deductive/inductive reasoning and mathematical ability.
- Intermediate knowledge of the theory and practice of recording, classifying, examining and analyzing the data and records of financial transactions.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of excel including the use of pivot tables.
This position generally requires a Bachelor’s degree in accounting plus two years experience or A.A./A.S. degree in accounting/bookkeeping and four years’ experience. A working knowledge of SAP is preferred.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.