Sr. Accounts Payable Specialist
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: October 12, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
This position will be responsible for utilizing the company Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system to maximize daily output to keep up with the department processing volume. This position should understand all departmental processes and procedures and be point of contact for collaborating with other departments and internal AP clerks to revise existing and creating any new go-forward procedures/processes. Further, familiarity of internal controls surrounding the Procure to Pay function. General understanding of banking controls and segregation of duties. This position will have significant involvement in process improvement initiatives, documenting existing processes, and assisting in establishing new processes. Familiarity with modern AP system functionality and utilizing technology to enhance efficiencies in the AP process.
- Performs all daily Accounts Payable processing duties utilizing the company ERP.
- Processing and posting invoices for payment.
- Responsible for appropriate daily banking processes and procedures.
- Manages the workload during month end closing with oversight by the department manager.
- Communicates with internal business partners and external vendors to resolve payment discrepancies and satisfy all controls in a timely manner.
- Point of contact for department in maintaining and creating new processes or procedures.
- Works with internal Accounts Payable department personnel and internal business partners to identify new procedures to be created or identify existing process changes that need to be made.
- Participates in Procure to Pay and another process improvement needs to further the departmental and company goals.
- Be a leader for “SpeakUp”, including encouraging peers to exhibit a safe and ethical culture.
- Understands and complies with Company policies and procedures, including Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and Saltchuk Code of Ethical Business Conduct.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Adheres to all department processes, procedures and controls.
- Adheres to all company policies.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written, oral communication and human relations skills in dealing with all levels of employees.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced AP environment with minimum supervision to meet required deadlines.
- Ability to organize workload and prioritize projects in an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Understands Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Skills in analytical thinking, problem solving, planning/organizing, decision-making, and follow-through.
- Ability to understand current procedures and identify opportunities for improvements in the process and in the documentation.
- Proven ability to understand and efficiently utilize ERP systems to maximize processing output on a daily basis.
- Familiarity of internal controls surrounding the Procure to Pay function, including a general understanding of bank controls and segregation of duties.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and produce an accurate and organized work product.
- Strong skills in interpersonal relations, ability to work closely with others, ability to cooperate with others in a manner that recognizes the importance of team work in achieving company goals.
- Computer operation skills: advanced Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word skills, knowledge of Windows environment, and prior use or knowledge SAP is preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field is required, with five years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.