Signal Person – Riviera Beach Job ID 9288
Location: West Palm Beach
Company: Tropical Shipping
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Operations
Publish Date: May 2, 2021
Company Description: Tropical has been rated as "best place to work" in the shipping industry for 10 years in a row. Employees enjoy our team spirit & work ethic and many have been with us for as long as 30 years. From those in the office to the team loading docks and conducting ship work, Tropical employees across the US, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business. We see diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, and competitive advantage. We hire great people and our teams feel a lot like family. Together we do outstanding work and we enjoy a fun healthy work life balance.
Provides the Lead Stevedore with precise and clear directional signals in loading and discharging vessels.
To apply for this job please visit www.tropical.com.
- Provides Lead Stevedore with required guidance for safe and proper crane operation using approved hand signals.
- Ensures deck gear is set up according to stowage plan. Coordinates with Lead Stevedore, and vessel personnel to ensure proper placement of containers on ship.
- Assists in rigging of special lifts both ashore and aboard vessels.
- Operates 10-ton fork-lift to move containers and other cargo.
- Maintains certification and proficiency in fork-lift operation.
- Performs shipside support for handling lines and setting gangways.
- Assists Lead Stevedore with routine maintenance inspection. Also assists Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Stevedore I and Lead Stevedore with crane maintenance.
- Inspects and cleans shipside work area for sure safe environment and properly maintained rigging gear.
- Monitors work areas on-board vessels to ensure personal safety.
- Retrieves, loads, and braces vehicles into containers for export shipment.
- Drives and operates equipment, machinery and automobiles into hold or deck of ships.
- Prepares support equipment check sheets daily and hands in weekly.
- Cross trains on crane team app on handheld computers.
- Empties garbage cans in port seawalls and assists during spill clean ups.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
|EDUCATION:||High School Diploma or equivalent|
|EXPERIENCE:||Six months experience in stevedoring or shipping operations experience.|
|LICENSE:||Valid Local Driver's License.|
|PHYSICAL:||Operations - Manual dexterity to perform repetitive motion tasks on computer or handheld. Ability to frequently twist, bend, reach, squat, kneel, climb on equipment, push/pull 50 pounds, crawl, lift and carry at least 80 pounds and push/pull 200 pounds daily. Able to withstand constant exposure to extreme weather conditions. Must pass DOT physical.|