Shipyard Office Coordinator
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Administrative, Human Resources, Operations
Publish Date: February 12, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Responsible for the shipyard job cost system, time entry system, CRM database, shipyard estimating records and office files. Prepares various shipyard budget reports and monitors accounting system reports. Provides general administrative support as required.
Shipyard Job Cost System (SAP)
- Enters work orders, opens/closes jobs and cost codes as requested.
- Assists shipyard director with ledger review, codes shipyard office invoices for payment.
Time Entry System & Payroll
- Enters daily timesheet information into computerized payroll system and verifies accuracy of data. Addresses and corrects discrepancies prior to transmission to payroll department.
- Researches and advises all necessary corrections to any payroll detail.
- Acts as primary point of contact for Employee payroll issues and questions.
- Handles early check requests (payroll/vacation).
- Creates and maintains the Safety Performance Personal Day list.
- Maintains the Advertising and “SOP” (Standard Operating Procedures) notebooks as well as the shipyard training files.
- Maintains monthly shipyard craft and indirect (overhead) budget reports on Excel spreadsheets.
- Tracks seniority for shipyard craft personnel and notifies HR/Payroll when seniority is achieved.
- Prepares coast guard reports, quarterly employment reports, labor & industry wage surveys, American waterway surveys and similar documents from shipyard records as required.
- Prepares customer and casualty bills as requested by Sales Manager and/or Billing Coordinator.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail.
- Keeps office/kitchen supplies stocked while staying within allotted budget.
- Organizes, sets up and breaks down booth for industry t tradeshows Makes travel arrangements for shipyard personnel as requested and reconcile receipt statements upon their return.
- Organizes holiday mailings.
- Adheres to company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Involves heavy use of computer databases. “Up and running” familiarity with PC computer systems requires. (Intermediate skill level, minimum.)
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, meet deadlines, and work with frequent interruptions.
- Creative in problem solving.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality is a key requirement of this position.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Public relations impact includes contact with customers, vendors, staff, shipyard crafts and all levels of employees. Works to keep lines of communication open between crafts, staff and customers.
- Computer software such as Windows, Excel, Microsoft Word.
- Ability to type at least 50 wpm. Familiar with standard office equipment, adding machines, etc.
- Familiarity with marine technical terminology helpful.
- Familiarity with shipyard labor contract as it relates to timekeeping, holidays, etc.
High School Education and at least two years of related office experience, preferable in shipyard or maritime industry.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.