Shared Service Controller
Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting, Finance, Management
Publish Date: April 28, 2021
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
NorthStar Energy is seeking a Shared Service Controller to join our growing team. The role is responsible for the AR, AP, Inventory, and Credit functions for our Alaska-based operating companies, providing exceptional service to internal and external customers alike. With revenues of approximately $500M and growing, NorthStar invests in businesses in the energy industry. This is an exciting opportunity to lead and own significant process improvement initiatives critical to the success of the businesses. The position will also play a key role in the onboarding and integration of future acquisitions into NorthStar’s family of operating companies and shared service function.
The NorthStar Energy Shared Service Controller is responsible for the leadership and management of the NorthStar Energy’s shared service accounting function, which provides billing, payment and inventory accounting to certain NorthStar operating companies.
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
- Manage the shared services invoicing processes for multiple business lines delivering timely and accurate billing of goods and services.
- Manage the shared services Accounts Payable processes for multiple business lines
- providing timely accrual and payment of vendor invoices.
- Manage the shared services inventory processes for multiple business lines
- providing real-time inventory accounting and timely reconciliations of book to physical inventories.
- Manage the shared services credit function for multiple operating companies ensuring consistent application of credit and collections policies, assessment of creditworthiness of potential and existing customers.
- Manage the monthly accounting close for each function to ensure an accurate and timely close and within the close deadlines developed by the NorthStar Corporate Controller.
- Implement, modify, and monitor internal controls to ensure accurate reporting of all shared services financial activities and full compliance with all related NorthStar and Saltchuk accounting policies.
- Drive productivity improvements throughout the shared services functions through development of a clear written roadmap identifying process improvements through process change and through implementation of cost-effective technology.
- Develop and provide ongoing reporting of shared service productivity metrics and service quality metrics both to customers and to business units using the shared services.
- Deliver at all times exemplary customer service to the operating businesses, their customers and vendors through clear communication and follow through.
- Develop and maintain a culture ongoing process improvement with a spirit of collaboration and peer support.
- Working with the NorthStar Corporate Controller develop integration plans for acquisitions joining the shared services.
- Manage, mentor and engage with team and colleagues in a manner that reflects NorthStar’s values of cohesion, commitment, courage, and personal agency.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and 8-10 years’ experience in public accounting or a corporate accounting department with demonstrated career progression, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other Professional Skills and Experience
- Excellent process improvement skills, leadership skills and communication skills
- Experience directly managing AP and AR functions required, experience managing Inventory and Credit preferred
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through
- Experience with MAS 90-200 preferred
- Desire and ability to dig into details and find solutions as well as understand the big picture
- CPA preferred
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office