Senior Tax Specialist
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: September 15, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, this position will be responsible for the coordination and completion of Saltchuk Marine/Foss’s non-income tax compliance and reporting requirements. Additional responsibilities for assisting with federal and state income tax reporting to the Company’s parent. As a member of the accounting team, this position will also perform certain close activities, including preparing journal entries, preparing reconciliations, assisting with accounting research and assisting with financial statement preparation. Excellent attention to detail and in-depth knowledge of accounting and taxes is crucial for this position.
- Prepares all state sales and local tax returns
- Maintains all personal and real property tax files and files all related tax returns
- Prepares state apportionment factors
- Maintains files and records transactions relating to the capital construction fund.
- Supports all indirect tax audits
- Performs research and documentation of tax issues
- Collaborates with members of the Saltchuk tax team on tax related transactions and issues.
- Prepares the federal and state reporting package to Saltchuk
- Assists with identifying and implementing process improvements and procedures in the tax function
- Maintains awareness of tax law changes or updates that may impact the company.
- Assists with certain close activities, including preparing journal entries and reconciliations
- Assists the broader accounting department with accounting research, financial statement preparation and supporting the financial audits
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum 3 or more years in the indirect tax area. Combination of public and private experience is preferred.
- Strong technical knowledge of non-income taxes such as sales/use taxes, B&O taxes, fuel taxes, property taxes, and other business licenses.
- Skills in analytical thinking, problem solving, planning/organizing, decision-making, and follow-through.
- Experience at identifying opportunities and bringing value to companies through indirect taxes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and produce an accurate and organized work product.
- Ability to utilize existing procedures and suggest process improvements
- Ability to work independently on multiple assignments and under deadline pressure, ability to set priorities and schedule work, willingness to accept new responsibilities.
- Strong skills in interpersonal relations, ability to work closely with others, ability to cooperate with others in a manner that recognizes the importance of team work in achieving company goals.
- Computer operation skills: advanced Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word skills, knowledge of Windows environment, SAP and experience with indirect tax software applications.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field is required, with 3 years of indirect tax experience. CPA certification is preferred
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.