Senior Engineering Manager
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Engineering
Publish Date: January 25, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Responsible for the management of various naval architecture and marine engineering projects, as assigned by the Director, Engineering. Within that responsibility set, the incumbent directly supervises the naval architect/marine engineering staff as assigned by the Director, Engineering. The incumbent is also accountable for the effective achievement of performance, engineering cost, and engineering schedule goals established for assigned projects, working with various segments of the company, shipyards, vendors, and customers. This involves a high degree of independent problem analysis (Including highly complex technical problems), independent decision making, and communicating.
- Defines project specific engineering scopes, including engineering performance, cost and schedule objectives.
- Obtains concurrence of management, customer, vendors, etc., on objectives.
- Directs the development and maintenance of engineering standards and tools to establish departmental technical standard practices.
- Provides guidance and execution strategies in support of staff engineers’ assignments.
- Determines how work is to be broken down into manageable assignments.
- Assesses (or supervises) technical level of detail to efficiently satisfy task scopes.
- Performs technical evaluations of alternative problem solutions.
- Maintains technical project files in engineering network file structure.
- Direct supervisor for technical engineering staff as assigned by the Director, Engineering.
- Assigns qualified technical engineering staff for project work and designates technical project leads as needed.
- Identifies project staffing needs and coordinates with Director, Engineering to hire qualified technical engineering staff to support internal and external project work needs.
- Coordinates with Director, Engineering to obtain qualified technical engineering resources for project work.
- Assesses relevant technical and operations proposals for accuracy.
- Helps negotiate agreements with vendors, customers, etc., for work.
- Brings about purposeful action by direct reports, shipyards, vendors, customers, etc., (some through persuasion rather than direction) towards desired objectives.
- Communicates (written, verbal, telephone) with others involved.
- Identifies and solves problems as they come up.
- Measures results against the plan (cost, schedule, and performance) and communicates results to others.
- Recognizes people according to their performance.
- Re-plans work as needed in order to make corrections.
- Responsible for all matters of employment including recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline and termination.
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates function and/or regional goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Processes performance evaluations in a timely, effective and fair manner.
- Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
- Establishes goals, monitors progress and results of direct reports.
- Addresses inter- and intra-department training needs and counseling, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The English language adequate for effective spoken, written, and phone communication.
- Naval architecture, marine engineering, mechanical engineering, system safety and reliability, shipyard safety requirements.
- Ship and barge operation, construction, maintenance and repair.
- Coast Guard regulations and ABS Rules applicable to steel vessel construction/repair.
- Excellent communication and human relation skills necessary in dealing with Foss employees, shipyard, vendors, and customers.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive coherent written technical reports.
- Ability to plan and organize work in an often-changing environment.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain a sense of humor during times of stress.
- Ability to use personal computer for word-processing, spreadsheets, MS Project, & CAD.
- Ability to give attention to detail, to make decisions, and to solve problems (sometimes involving complex technical or management issues).
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent industry experience) in naval architecture, marine engineering, or mechanical engineering and at least 8 years of applicable marine and engineering experience (or at least 15 years of experience with an Associate’s Degree) and with at least 2 years in a leadership position. Project management experience is highly preferred. A Washington P.E. or similar registration (or additional experience) is required.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.