Senior Cargo Handling Specialist
Location: West Palm Beach
Company: Tropical Shipping
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Operations
Publish Date: February 10, 2020
Company Description: Tropical has been rated as "best place to work" in the shipping industry for 10 years in a row. Employees enjoy our team spirit & work ethic and many have been with us for as long as 30 years. From those in the office to the team loading docks and conducting ship work, Tropical employees across the US, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business. We see diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, and competitive advantage. We hire great people and our teams feel a lot like family. Together we do outstanding work and we enjoy a fun healthy work life balance.
Inspects and receives cargo to protect the interest of Tropical and its customers. Receives cargo on the main floor, UPS, Yard and Ramp. Enters correct data in the warehouse management system, preparing cargo for putaway. Operates a forklift as part of the receiving, stripping, or putaway processes. Puts away cargo in the proper location and documents that transaction properly in the warehouse management system. Attends to customers delivering at the ramp, and in the yard to ensure they are given personal attention and special assistance when needed. Loads cargo into containers, ensuring shipment integrity (no shortages or errors), blocks and braces shipments to reduce risk of damage.
To apply for this job please visit hrwppb06v.trophq.tropical.com.
1. Inspects cargo to ensure that cargo meets the Tropical receiving guidelines for acceptance.
2. Receives cargo by :
a. Verifying and documenting the count.
b. Ensuring that cargo matches description on the carrier's freight bill
c. Verifying and documenting cargo condition.
d. Properly noting exceptions (discrepancies) on the delivery agent's paperwork.
e. Checks for proper hazardous material documents.
f. Signs the delivery receipt, and accepts cargo in accordance with the receiving process.
3. Measures cargo and enters information into the warehouse management system or on hand tally.
4. Properly, accurately, and legibly, records all other required information on tally or in warehouse management system.
5. Prepares cargo for putaway by verifying paperwork, and placing cargo on pallets. Secures cargo to pallets with shrinkwrap and/or tape.
6. Applies labels to each handling unit, in accordance with company procedures.
7. Exhibits good customer service skills in communicating with customers, truckers, and vendors.
8. Performs and documents pre-shift forklift inspection.
9. Operates a forklift to unload delivery trucks and containers.
10. Strips and transloads cargo as needed.
11. Transfers large shipments from delivery truck directly into containers.
12. Loads containers, making sure that cargo is place properly in the containers to ensure maximum stow and damage free transit.
13. Loads flatracks according to flat rack procedures.
14. Ensures proper hazardous material placards are applied when hazardous cargo is loaded.
16. Keeps work area clean and free of all safety hazards at all times.
17. Performs all other assigned duties as requested.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Twelve (12) months Tropical warehouse experience.
OSHA Certified in forklift operation
Knows and understands all receiving processes, all areas.
LICENSE: Valid State of Florida Drivers License
PHYSICAL: Operations - Manual dexterity to perform repetitive motion tasks on computer or handheld. Ability to frequently twist, bend, reach, squat, kneel, climb on equipment, push/pull 50 pounds, crawl, lift and carry at least 80 pounds on a daily basis. Able to withstand constant exposure to extreme weather conditions.
(Education and experience minimums can be substituted with any equivalent combination of training and experience)