Senior Business Analyst
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Information Technology
Publish Date: April 9, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Responsible for working closely with marine division stakeholders, and business partners to collect, clarify and define requirements, define and/or modify business processes. As a Business Analyst, you will also recommend system controls and protocols in order to solve organizational information problems. This position reports to the General Manager in Portland, but will require heavy travel to Seattle for the first six months in position.
- Determines operational objectives by studying business functions; gathering information; evaluating output requirements and formats.
- Defines and develops new business system applications and modifies existing data systems by analyzing requirements; constructing workflow charts and diagrams; studying system capabilities; writing specifications.
- Recommends controls by identifying problems; writing improved procedures.
- Defines project requirements, project milestones, phases, and elements with the project team.
- Monitors project progress by tracking activity; resolving problems; publishing progress reports; recommending actions.
- Maintains system protocols by writing and updating procedures.
- Ensures quality of changed processes and system modifications by writing test plans and test scripts, coordinating integration and user acceptance testing.
- Provides references for users by writing and maintaining user documentation; providing support; training users.
- Ensures impacted staff is aware of changed processes and system modifications through creation of communication plans and materials in partnership with business users.
- Maintains user confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Prepares technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven business analyst experience and knowledge of current practices.
- Proven experience in working with internal stakeholders as well as external vendors to achieve successful project outcomes.
- Experience in process re-engineering and process mapping to drive efficiencies and streamline workflow.
- Experience in integration and user acceptance test practices including plan and script creation as well as defect tracking and resolution.
- Proven experience in working with internal business partners in developing communication strategies, plans and materials.
- Proven experience in identifying training needs, creation of training plans and materials, and conducting training sessions.
- Demonstrated capability for analysis, problem solving, decision making, sound judgment, assertiveness, detail-oriented.
- Expertise in the principles and methodologies of successful project management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as presentation skills with the ability to conduct presentations to all levels of the organization.
- Strong relationship building, interpersonal, collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Excellent customer-oriented focus.
- Must be both a team player and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and possess good organizational and time management skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and MS Visio required.
- Certified Business Analyst Professional (CBAP) a plus.
- Experience working in the marine shipping industry with knowledge of systems a plus.
This position generally requires a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and 4 – 6 years of business analyst experience. Experience in the marine shipping industry is a plus.
Work is mostly performed in an office environment. There may be a requirement to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel may also be required. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.