Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting, Finance
Publish Date: April 28, 2021
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
The Senior Accountant’s primary responsibility is to support the Corporate Controller in timely and accurate closing of monthly accounting records, including preparing and reviewing entries and reconciliations, performing financial statement review and analysis, and promoting process improvement initiatives. The Senior Accountant will need to use advanced software techniques to retrieve and analyze data and present results to management.
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
- Supervise and train staff accountants, providing direction, guidance, and feedback to ensure a motivated, effective, and productive team.
- Assist with month and year-end closing of the accounting records, including preparation of assigned journal entries and audit schedules.
- Assist with monthly financial statement review, including preparation and review of support schedules and variance analysis files. Review assigned journal entries, reconciliations, audit schedules and other work products prepared by staff accountants.
- Analyze and compile financial information to accurately record transactions; prepare and distributed financial reports and review and verify completeness and accuracy of those reports.
- Maintain the accounting system chart of accounts, consolidation software translation tables, and account and department (site) level dictionaries. This includes adding or inactivating accounts, departments, and statistical accounts.
- Assist the Corporate Controller with Treasury functions and compliance, as needed
- Perform technical research on complex accounting matters and able to document issues, assumptions, and conclusions in a memo.
- Maintain and update the internal controls annual checklist to ensure internal controls are properly monitored and are operating efficiently and effectively.
- Support the cohesive delivery of accounting services under a shared services model; streamline and simplifies accounting processes to ensure quality, consistency, and continuous process improvements
- Support audit functions performed by independent external auditors and internal auditors.
- Work with non-accounting personnel to implement procedural improvements and policies.
- Routinely conduct variance analysis to identify and resolve discrepancies. This includes, partnering with the team and other functions to identify and resolve issues that may impact the accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of financial reporting.
- All other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, and a minimum of 3 years of accounting experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Public accounting experience strongly preferred
- CPA strongly preferred
- Experience with Sage and Blackline a plus
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong understanding of US GAAP, accounting, and internal control concepts (i.e. segregation of duties and understanding of key controls)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify, research, and problem solve issues.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, while maintaining a strong attention to detail
- Proficient written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail with an emphasis on accuracy
- Strong Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite proficiency
- Awareness, understanding, and adherence to internal controls
- Ability to develop working relationships with co-workers and others
- Strong work commitment and ability to work under pressure
Key Qualities: The ideal candidate demonstrates collaboration skills with colleagues and customers; a strong level of commitment and personal agency to create positive outcomes; and high ethical standards.