Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: August 1, 2019
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
As a Senior Accountant, you’ll work closely with accounting and finance personnel, as well as others across the organization, to assist in key accounting tasks. This position requires analytical and quantitative skills with a high attention to detail and accuracy. This position reports to the Manager of Finance and Accounting.
Saltchuk is a family-owned, diversified transportation and distribution company headquartered in Seattle. With consolidated revenues of about $2.8 billion and approximately 6,000 employees, Saltchuk is ranked among the largest privately held businesses in Washington. Saltchuk companies provide air cargo, domestic shipping and logistics, international shipping and logistics, marine services, and petroleum distribution. We believe in – and champion – the inherent value of our companies’ individual brands. The Corporate home provides leadership and resources to our companies, but not direct management of their operations.
Although the company has grown considerably since its founding in 1982, the Corporate home employs about 50 people and has retained the collegial and entrepreneurial culture of a much smaller organization. Saltchuk is a values-driven organization, committed to safety and taking care of its employees, communities and the environment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
- Assist in the preparation of routine financial reporting to the senior leadership of Saltchuk, including forecasts and actuals, consolidated financial statements, EBIT, EBITDA, cash flow forecasts, quarterly reports, and all necessary reporting requirements for the Board.
- Perform month end close activities for the corporate office, including preparing journal entries and balance sheet and income statement analysis.
- Perform month-end close activities for Saltchuk’s consolidated accounting records, which includes ensuring consolidating journal entries and eliminations are properly booked.
- Perform assigned balance sheet reconciliations and create new reconciliations on an as needed basis.
- Use various system report-writing tools for efficient financial reporting and processing.
- Participate in consolidated lease system implementation and thereafter, be the primary system administrator.
- Perform bank reconciliations, routine deposits and daily cash processing.
- Ensure all business unit financial deliverables are received and organized properly, following up as appropriate.
- Support year-end activities including the annual audit, financial statements and footnote preparation.
- Take the initiative and recommend and implement process improvements for Corporate Home accounting operations, and also implement those process improvements. This may include frequent interactions with operating companies.
- Manage required governmental reporting process.
- Support Saltchuk’s Political Action Committee by submitting required reports to the Federal Election Commission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
Experience and Skills:
- 3-5 years of accounting or finance experience
- Public accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and ability to research technical accounting guidance
- Experience with preparing financial statements and reconciliations
- Strong communication, presentation, and collaboration skills
- Exposure to consolidations preferred
- Proactive, takes initiative to accomplish tasks and consistently meets due dates.
- Ability to work well with others at all levels and to be of service to our business units
- Ability to balance the big picture items and a strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn and operate systems such as Lawson, Host, Concur, Smartsheet, Aristotle, and many bank websites