Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: September 18, 2019
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
As a Senior Accountant, you’ll work closely with finance personnel, as well as others across the organization, to assist in key accounting tasks. This position requires analytical and quantitative skills with a high attention to detail and accuracy. This position reports to the Accounting Manager.
Saltchuk is a family-owned, diversified transportation and distribution company headquartered in Seattle. With consolidated revenue of about $2.8 billion and approximately 6,000 employees, Saltchuk is ranked among the largest privately held businesses in Washington. Saltchuk companies provide air cargo, domestic shipping and logistics, international shipping and logistics, marine services, and petroleum distribution. We believe in – and champion – the inherent value of our companies’ individual brands. The Corporate home provides leadership and resources to our companies, but not direct management of their operations.
Although the company has grown considerably since its founding in 1982, the Corporate home employs about 50 people and has retained the collegial and entrepreneurial culture of a much smaller organization. Saltchuk is a values-driven organization, committed to safety and taking care of its employees, communities and the environment.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assist in the preparation of routine financial reporting to the senior leadership of Saltchuk, including forecasts and actuals, consolidated financial statements, EBIT, EBITDA, cash flow forecasts, quarterly reports, and all necessary reporting requirements for the Board.
- Perform the month end close activities for the corporate office, including preparing journal entries and balance sheet and income statement analysis.
- Perform the month end close activities for Saltchuk’s consolidated accounting records, which includes ensuring consolidating journal entries and eliminations are properly booked.
- Perform assigned balance sheet account reconciliations and create new reconciliations on an as needed basis.
- Assist in the external audit – this includes preparing necessary schedules and providing requested information to auditors.
- Working with the treasury department on a weekly basis to prepare a short-term cash flow forecasts for Corporate Home.
- Assist in the annual Plan preparation for Corporate Home and providing assistance and guidance to department heads. Additionally, it includes working with others in finance to complete the consolidated Plan and other related reporting requirements.
- Take the initiative and recommend and implement process improvements for Corporate Home accounting operations, and also implement those process improvements. This may include frequent interactions with operating companies.
- Assist the risk management department monthly and annually to ensure proper reconciliation of funds received from insurance companies.
- Create systems reports, especially within Host, to make data accumulation more efficient.
- This role will be a key player in the implementation of the new revenue recognition standard (ASC 606) and lease accounting standard (ASC 840) for Saltchuk and its subsidiaries.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 4 years of accounting experience required
- Public accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and ability to research technical accounting guidance
- Experience with preparing financial statements and reconciliations
- Strong communication, presentation, and collaboration skills
- Exposure to consolidations preferred
- Proactive, takes initiative to accomplish tasks
- Ability to work well with others at all levels and to be of service to our business units
- Ability to balance the big picture items and a strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn and operate systems such as Lawson, Host, Concur, Aristotle, and many bank websites