Risk Management Analyst
Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Risk Management
Publish Date: December 16, 2020
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
As a Risk Management Analyst, you will be responsible for insurance and risk management duties, along with managing the risk management information system (RMIS) for our family of transportation companies. You will be charged with multiple and ongoing insurance and risk management functions, such as cost of risk data gathering and modeling, updating exposure schedules and managing the comprehensive insurance application process across our business units, creating policy premium allocations, managing vessel COFR reporting to Treasury, supporting the department’s various actuarial projects, monthly claim tracking and loss run reconciliation and processing deductible and self-insured retention payments. You will also be responsible for facilitating utilization of the claims and insurance policy modules of the risk management information system across all Saltchuk companies. We use Origami as our platform, and it is our database of record for incidents & claims, exposure & policy information and safety reporting statistics. You may also collaborate with other departments, depending on their needs and use of Origami. You will report to the Insurance Manager at the Saltchuk corporate level and work closely with risk managers and their teams across the business units.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
- Assist with semi-annual total cost of risk report by gathering and modeling data and contributing to the preparation of material for submission to the company’s Board.
- Quarterly vessel tracking for Federal COFR calculations.
- Verify and prepare monthly premium and vendor invoices for submittal to the finance team for payment.
- Assist the Insurance Manager with the renewal of a portfolio of 90+ insurance policies extending across primary coverage lines of marine, trucking, and aviation. Includes gathering data from multiple subsidiaries, creating a consolidated submission to our insurance brokers, requesting and verifying accuracy of loss runs, and preparing premium allocation spreadsheets.
- Ongoing maintenance of exposure schedules and filing of insurance correspondence and documentation.
- Reconcile, update and manage the monthly marine claim reports and self-insured retention claim approvals and payments in conjunction with the insurance broker’s claims team. Including tracking and creating reimbursement payments to business units for their monthly self-insured retention claim payments within the marine program.
- Work with the Director of Risk Management and the finance team to prepare a self-insured retention marine reserve worksheet at each actuarial report date (4x per year), including the subsequent self-insured allocation forecast/actual to each marine business unit.
- Maintain information in Origami related to insurance policies and premiums and run reports as needed.
- Assist in the creation of annual insurance budgets and allocation of premium expenses for subsidiary companies and Finance.
- Assist with other claim tracking, policy audit reconciliation, and special insurance and risk management projects as needed.
- Work closely with the Origami subject matter experts (SME) for each Saltchuk subsidiary to assist in identifying their RMIS needs and provide support to each subsidiary’s designated system administrator.
- Duties include:
- Collaborate and liaise as needed with SME’s, the Origami dedicated IT support team at Saltchuk’s level and the Origami Risk technical team to develop and implement solutions consistently across all business units and lines of coverage, as well as assist with specific business unit Origami-related projects.
- Implement RMIS policies and procedures developed by Saltchuk to ensure consistent claims administration, tracking and documentation across all business units and lines of coverage.
- Participate on occasion with Origami training at the business unit level when the SME needs assistance.
- Provide support as needed to implement interface projects with subsidiaries’ internal systems, such as HR and Operations, along with implement downloads from external sources, such as insurer and TPA loss runs.
- Assist as needed with annual outside auditor reviews regarding RMIS claim procedures, claim payments and marine reserve tracking.
- Facilitate RMIS audits by internal audit staff.
- Facilitate the annual Origami Users’ Conference for the Saltchuk family of companies.
- Attend the Origami Risk Conference (every 18 months).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Risk Management, Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- Insurance or Risk Management professional designation preferred.
Experience and Skills
- Two to five years of insurance and/or risk management experience.
- Two to three years of RMIS experience (preferably, Origami).
- Project management, vendor management, organizational and planning skills with a keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently on multiple assignments and under deadline pressure, ability to set priorities and schedule work, willingness to accept new responsibilities.
- Ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships, work closely with others both inside and outside of the company, cooperate with others in a manner that recognizes the importance of team work in achieving company goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic accounting or finance knowledge.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Proficient with MS Office applications.