Regional HR Generalist
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: April 22, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
This position provides support and leadership to Regional Marine Operations and Corporate HR Department involving all areas of employment. This position will provide advice, guidance and support to management and staff regarding a wide diversity of human resources matters. This position involves interaction with marine personnel on a daily basis. This position engages and sources job candidates through online social networking tools and technology, while representing and promoting Foss’ employer brand.
- Serves as the primary HR contact for the region.
- Maintains positive & supportive relationships with all employees both within and outside the Companies and responds to employee requests for information and assistance.
- Establishes strong relationships and collaborates well with HR colleagues at corporate and in other regions. Brokers services to HR specialists (compensation, benefits, recruiting, training, etc.) as appropriate. Partners with specialists and assists as needed.
- Champions and advocates for the value of HR initiatives to the business, as well as advocating the business’s challenges and perspectives to the corporate HR team.
- Communicates and updates managers and employees on HR initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Assists with Labor Relations for union and non-union workforce with guidance from regional management and corporate Human Resources.
Recruiting & Development
- Administers talent acquisition, staffing/recruitment activities, assuring that highly qualified employees are recruited to fill company positions.
- Oversee the new hire orientation, onboarding, I9 and e-Verify processes.
- Supports management regarding the employment process to ensure company is within EEO and OFCCP guidelines and regulations.
- Oversee preparation and maintenance of employment records related to hiring.
- Coordinates & serves as primary contact for community involvement programs (i.e. Career Fairs, Work Force Development Workshops, etc.)
- Manages requests for employment and unemployment verification using third party vendors.
- Oversees the administrative support services for the regional office such as Personnel files and supplies.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory federal and state compliance.
- Conduct exit interview; perform analysis on feedback and reports findings and recommendations to business leaders.
- Maintain training records in LMS for tracking and reporting.
- Coordinate, facilitate, and/or conduct in-person training sessions.
- Administers Wellness and Leave Programs
- Primary internal point of contact for all LOA/FMLA questions and concerns.
- Partners with the Designated Employer Representative (DER) to ensure Foss’ Drug and Alcohol programs comply with DOT and USCG requirements.
- Coordinates with Payroll for Gym reimbursements under Foss’ Wellness program.
- Manages rewards and recognition programs such as Service Awards, birthday cards, Thanks for Making a Difference, and other various rewards programs.
- Coordinates employee events.
- Crewing and Time Keeping
- Evaluates marine employees for optimum utilization.
- Reviews validity of all wages relative to union agreements, including daily wages, hourly overtime, sick leave, short-term disability and vacation pay.
- Audits data into on-line payroll system for all wages paid to marine personnel.
- Coordinates special payroll situations between marine personnel and accounting department.
- Maintains database for Coast Guard licenses for deck officers and engineers.
- Maintains seniority lists for union employees.
- Be a leader for “Speak Up”, including encouraging peers and staff to exhibit a safe and ethical culture.
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and other HR policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Conducts vessel visitations on a regular basis to interact with crews for enhancing office to vessel communication in addition to identification of any personnel issues that require attention.
- Performs special projects within the regional management, HR team, and other projects as needed.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong understanding of overall recruitment process and recruitment marketing strategy.
- Strong proficiency in the Applicant Tracking Systems and reporting capabilities.
- Superior analytical skills with the ability to assess and present key data.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with frequent interruptions, set priorities and organize work responsibilities to ensure completion of assigned tasks within preset timeframes.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, and the ability to identify ways to improve and promote quality.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work cooperatively with employees, applicants and outside entities of diverse cultures, education, social and economic backgrounds.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive company information.
- Ability to independently use a computer and learn necessary computers programs.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and managers.
- Ability to stay current with recruiting and social media trends.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and equipment.
- Solid track record of setting high standards of performance; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks
A minimum of three – five years’ experience as a Human Resources Generalist required. Must have an extensive knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within the recruitment and employment function. Working knowledge of applicant tracking and HRIS systems. Familiarity ADP products a plus. Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Communications, or Marketing desired. PHR/SHRM-CP required.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.