Purchasing Agent – Riviera Beach Job ID 9318
Location: West Palm Beach
Company: Tropical Shipping
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Other
Publish Date: May 2, 2021
Company Description: Tropical has been rated as "best place to work" in the shipping industry for 10 years in a row. Employees enjoy our team spirit & work ethic and many have been with us for as long as 30 years. From those in the office to the team loading docks and conducting ship work, Tropical employees across the US, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business. We see diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, and competitive advantage. We hire great people and our teams feel a lot like family. Together we do outstanding work and we enjoy a fun healthy work life balance.
Responsible for purchasing parts, materials, services and equipment at the lowest total cost of ownership consistent with quality, quantity and specifications. Negotiates critical purchasing and maintenance contracts with external vendors. Trains Buyers on purchasing functions and assists with purchasing assignments. Conducts external vendor audits and assists in setting departmental training guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit www.tropical.com.
- Performs purchasing functions for goods, services and supplies for Tropical's fleet of vessels and support equipment.
- Assist Buyers with purchasing assignments. Provides training on routine and non-routine purchasing functions.
- Completes all data entry for requisitions and purchase orders in a timely manner.
- Obtains and analyzes bids in accordance with established policies and procedures. Negotiates contracts as authorized by the Purchasing Director.
- Works with the Materials Management Supervisor as needed in coordinating the booking of Port of Palm Beach inventory as well as material shipments to port locations.
- Coordinates the receipt of incoming foreign spares and the associated work with Brokers and Customs.
- Assists Accounting with the reconcilement of discrepancies on invoices and purchase orders.
- Conducts internal audits of purchasing operations to ensure that current policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Conducts external vendor audits to ensure pricing, warehousing, specifications and plant requirements.
- Conducts vendor evaluations and assists the Purchasing Director and Buyers in gathering information and preparing reports.
- Assists the Purchasing Director in setting departmental guidelines for training and development.
- Conducts training of the Buyers in specified areas
- Tracks cost savings and cost avoidance.
- Monitors open purchase orders to ensure on time delivery.
- Assists Purchasing Director with product research, the analysis of purchasing trends, the development of process improvements and the analysis of industry trends.
- Prepares Buyer performance reports as well as supplier performance reports.
- Assists with value analysis projects.
- Performs all other related duties as requested.
|EDUCATION:||Associates Degree or equivalent|
|EXPERIENCE:||Three to five years’ experience in purchasing/materials management in the transportation field. Skills in purchasing analysis and computers is required.|
|LICENSE:||Valid Local Driver's License.|
|TRAVEL:||5% Travel to vendor and other Tropical locations.|
|PHYSICAL:||Office Environment - Manual dexterity to perform repetitive motion tasks on computer. Ability to bend or stoop to retrieve lower shelf files. Ability to reach overhead to retrieve upper shelf files. Ability to sit 1/3 - 2/3 of day. Ability to work on feet for 1/3 - 2/3 day. Operations Environment - Ability to bend, stoop, climb to record equipment conditions for disposals.|