Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Operations
Publish Date: December 7, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
The primary responsibility and authority for the execution of all vessel assignments including, but not limited to, planning the most efficient and safe operation of the vessel and its crew, implementing the operating plan in a cost-effective manner, and evaluating and reporting the results. It is the responsibility of all Masters to ensure compliance with policies and procedures, requirements and documentation in the Foss Safety Management System Manual (SMS) and vessel regulatory requirements. Masters have the specific obligation to ensure that all personnel assigned to vessels are provided with information, instructions and directions necessary for meeting the program objectives of safety, environmental protection and quality service through knowledgeable and competent execution of assigned tasks.
- Ensures safe navigation of the vessel at all times.
- Ensure safe and efficient maneuvering of vessel during ship work, barge work and escorts.
- Conducts required drills, training, safety meetings and maintains records of such, per company policy.
- Conducts and ensures compliance with vessel maintenance and inspection requirements as prescribed by the company.
- Inspects vessel to ensure conformance with safety standards and maritime regulations.
- Work closely with customers, pilots and appropriate government agencies to ensure the proper performance of the job.
- Ensures prompt and accurate reporting of all equipment failures, illnesses, incidents, accidents and damages.
- Maintains current knowledge of all maritime laws.
- Directs and supervises crew members in safe and productive operation of the vessel, its machinery and equipment.
- Holds crew accountable for their adherence to maritime law, company policies and procedures, and their individual performance/productivity.
- Evaluate all crewmembers in accordance with Company policy and take action as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of vessel handling and navigational skills commensurate with operating assignments.
- Capable to handle all aspects of operating a tractor tug for shipwork and bargework in harbors and open waters.
- Must have competence to operate a tractor tug in forward or reverse modes when making up to a ship.
- Working knowledge of propulsion, auxiliary and deck machinery.
- Must possess strong written and oral communicative skills.
- Competent in the use of a computer.
- Must be able to economically supervise all aspects of the operation of the vessel, its cargo and crew.
- Must be able to work independently and without direct supervision.
- Ability to withstand exposure to all weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, heat, wind, heavy seas, etc.)
- Ability to adapt to a variety of schedules and hours
- Able to work weekends, holidays, and at night.
- Must possess and maintain a National Master 500 Near Coastal or higher license, Master of Towing, STCW, Radar Endorsement, MMC, and TWIC.
- GMDSS is preferred.
- 3+ years’ experience as a Master or Mate on a tractor tug engaged in harbor ship assist work.
- Voith drive experiecne preferred.
- Must be able to work on call in the Seattle/Tacoma harbor areas.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Able to pass a simulated or live assessment, assessment can be waived at the companies discretion.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.