Company: Saltchuk Marine Shared Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: June 2, 2021
Company Description: Saltchuk Marine Shared Services’ dynamic service-driven team provides a suite of support services including Accounting, Finance, Information Technology (IT), Human Resources (HR), HSQE, Legal/Risk, Fleet Monitoring and Business Development to Saltchuk Marine operating companies: Foss Maritime, AmNav, Cook Inlet Tug & Barge, and Young Brothers. Our team enables our sister companies to focus on the important work of keeping ships and cargo moving safely. SMSS is headquartered in Downtown Seattle’s Pioneer Square neighborhood with easy transit access and a beautiful view of Puget Sound.
Saltchuk Marine Shared Services
Responsible for establishing general work procedures and managing all activities necessary to process company payrolls accurately and on a timely basis. Coordinate the filing of payroll reporting requirements with the federal and state governments with Saltchuk Marine Share Services Payroll Manager and TPA.
Provides supervisory leadership in monitoring the workload and job priorities within the Payroll Team. Performs all activities necessary to administer and process payrolls, maintaining employee related records, voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and assist with month end journal entries and General Ledger account reconciliations.
- Provide day-to-day supervision and oversight of efficient, accurate and timely delivery of payroll processing, while ensuring operational and compliance commitments are met.
- Must be able to understand all Collective Bargaining Agreements and specialized rules for the Union payrolls.
- Ensures changes required due to new labor agreements, regulation and policies are updated timely and communicated to the payroll team.
- Meets payroll operational standards by contributing information to strategic plans and reviews; implementing productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; identifying system improvements.
- Establish, design, implement, and maintain payroll process documentation for all workflow and system procedures necessary to support internal processes, system processing and to support business continuity.
- Process Improvements and Controls: Provide leadership to streamline improvements and updates to payroll processes that support business needs for payments and reporting.
- Optimize payroll processing procedures for improvements and efficiencies to ensure balance between capacity and deliverables.
- Lead and participate in department projects and key initiatives to ensure quality and timely completion.
- Collaborate and with the Payroll Manager in determining priorities of various jobs in order to meet deadlines efficiently.
- Manage wage garnishment and tax lien requirements.
- Create and run ad hoc reports to address requests for special information or reports.
- Provides information to outside and inside auditors. Support multiple departments and assist in ensuring proper internal controls are in place.
- Assist in review and balancing of annual W-2’s
Month End Closing:
- Prepares assigned journal entries and is accountable for completing them within designated month end timelines.
- Responsible for preparing and completing reconciliation of payroll and payroll-related accounts.
- Provide timely response to questions during the monthly preparation of financial results.
Supervisory and Leadership of Direct Staff
- Be a leader for “SpeakUp”, including encouraging peers and staff to exhibit a safe and ethical culture.
- Responsible for all matters of employment including recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline and termination.
- Understands and complies with Company policies and procedures, including EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and Saltchuk Code of Ethical Business Conduct.
- Effectively communicates function and/or regional goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Processes performance evaluations in a timely, effective and fair manner.
- Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
- Establishes goals, monitors progress and results of direct reports.
- Addresses inter- and intra-department training needs and counseling, as needed.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong leadership skills, service-oriented, and solid relationship building.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet and professional manner.
- ADP Suite & SAP-ECC experience
- Strong understanding of GAAP and at least seven years relevant payroll experience.
- Works well under pressure, with excellent analytical and strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, oral communication and human relations skills in dealing with all levels of employees.
- Ability to organize workload and prioritize projects in an ever-changing environment.
- Command of the English language necessary for oral, written, and phone communications.
- Knowledge of state and federal payroll tax codes.
- Must be comfortable in a computer work environment, including a proficient user of MS Office or MS 365.
- Problem Solving: Attention to detail, understanding instructions, information and/or concepts. The ability to interpret the language of all IRS Levies, wage attachments, and child support orders to withhold.
- Interpersonal: Regularly interact in person or by telephone with employees and external agencies. Must be a team player who will strive to achieve success by contributing to the payroll department to reach goals and complete all projects on time.
7 to 10 years of payroll administration experience, an associate degree or equivalent training and education beyond high school are preferred. Five + years in a supervisory/manager role is required.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.