Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: February 20, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
As a Payroll Accountant, you will perform all activities essential for timely, and accurate payroll operations. You will also maintain employee records, voluntary deduction reports, prepare accounting transactions and documents. In this role, you will also update procedures and assist with month end journal entries. This position reports to the Payroll Manager.
- Responsible for the timeliness and accuracy of the payroll process assigned Foss, and subsidiary companies.
- Maintain confidentiality in handling salaried payrolls.
- Research and resolve pay inquiries up to and including issuance of a manual check.
- Support HR in making changes required as a result of new collective bargaining agreements, laws, and policies.
- Develop ad hoc reports on request.
- Prepares assigned journal entries for month end timelines.
- Responsible for reconciliation of payroll and payroll-related accounts as assigned.
- Responds to questions during the monthly preparation of financial results.
- Provide support to both the Payroll Team and the manager through task delegation.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written, oral communication and human relations skills in dealing with all levels of employees.
- Ability to organize workload and prioritize projects in an ever-changing environment.
- Command of the English language necessary for oral, written, and phone communications.
- Understands generally accepted accounting principles and payroll operating methods.
- Expertise working with various systems such as ADP EV5, ADP Reporting, E-Time, and SAP.
- High level proficiency with Microsoft suite, including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Attention to detail, understanding instructions, information and/or concepts.
- Regularly interact in person or by telephone with employees and outside agencies.
- Works well in cooperation with others for the benefit of department.
- Focused on shared goals and complete all projects on time.
Usually requires 5 to 7 years of payroll experience and requires an associate’s degree or equivalent training and education beyond high school. Previous experience with Collective Bargaining Agreement (union) payroll preferred.
Work is mostly performed in a normal office environment. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel may also be required. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.