Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Legal
Publish Date: January 25, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
This position will contribute to Foss’ mission by providing timely and effective support to Foss’ Ethics, Legal & Claims Department in connection with a wide variety of legal, claims, and compliance program-related matters and projects. As a paralegal, you will interact with all levels of colleagues, including management, peers, and subordinates, on a variety of business assignments. This position reports to the Director of Claims.
- Provide administrative support to the claims team (internal and external), assist with gathering information and records to support claims team, assist with claims reporting and tracking, manage claims records.
- Corporate governance and transaction support (maintain/facilitate access to Foss corporate records; serve as internal resource for information regarding key business records, organizational structure, coordinate signatures and notarizations of documents; facilitate access between internal customers and legal resources (whether outside counsel or in-house resources).
- Litigation support (serve as point of contact for outside attorneys needing to collect Foss data; administer litigation holds; assist department members as necessary with providing project management-type support for larger, more complex cases).
- Assist with department operations (assist with producing reports (claims metrics, litigation statistics, etc.), track spend to budget, provide regular and timely feedback to internal customers about the status of projects).
- Monitor EIS notifications and claims activity during work hours to identify recordable incidents and timely log incidents as required by Saltchuk and OSHA; update logs as required by law; prepare and submit annual OSHA documentation; ensure Foss remains in compliance with recording and reporting deadlines.
- Administer and manage Foss’ records management program (provide training, answer questions, coordinate with designated records liaisons in each department to check program compliance and functioning).
- General department administration (open and sort mail, draft correspondence, manage and maintain department files and records, proofread, identify and assist in planning for acquisition of supplies, equipment, facilities and services).
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to manage relationships in a fast paced environment, while demonstrating persistence and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communication skills.
- Extremely organized with a strong sense of priority, urgency, and commitment to deadlines across multiple projects.
- High level attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must be a strong team player.
- Ability to be adaptable and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality with sensitive materials with the highest degree of professional responsibility.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concreate variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to gather, organize and analyze information skillfully.
- Ability to think independently and creatively.
- High level of expertise with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to become proficient with RMIS, SAP and other software applications as well as demonstrated knowledge of standard office administrative practices and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with OSHA injury recording and reporting and/or basic marine property and injury.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree and three years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience supporting legal, insurance and/or claims related work preferred. Experience with handling internal and external customers.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.