NSMV – Steel Inspector
Company: TOTE Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Other
Publish Date: October 28, 2020
Company Description: Since 1975, TOTE Services has provided full technical management and partial management/ crewing services for nearly one-hundred vessels of various sizes and configurations. We know that great companies are built by great people who embody our company’s values and vision. Whether we’re hiring for a shoreside or seagoing position, we look for people who can help us provide the world’s best ship management, marine operations, and vessel services. TOTE Services strives to lead the industry in safety, quality, and operational excellence and the TOTE Services team is critical to our success. www.toteservices.com
TOTE Services is seeking a qualified individual to serve as Steel Structures Inspector under TOTE’s Vessel Construction Management (VCM) contract to build, outfit, and deploy up to five (5) National Security Multi-Mission Vessels (NSMV) for the Maritime Administration (MARAD). This position will be located in Philadelphia, PA at Philly Shipyard, Inc and will report directly to the TOTE Services Chief Inspector NSMV.
The Steel Structures Inspector will provide technical expertise in welding and steel fabrication to verify quality, workmanship, and accuracy control throughout the entire build period. With support from the NSMV Chief Inspector, the Steel Structures Inspector will also be responsible for demonstrating a deep commitment to safety by supporting and adhering to a shipyard safety program that aligns with TOTE Services’ core values and organizational objectives.
The Steel Structures Inspector will be working closely with representatives of the shipbuilder’s Quality Control department, ABS, and USCG in witnessing inspections and tests to demonstrate strict adherence to contract requirements and performance standards.
The Steel Structures Inspector will represent TOTE Services in matters of NSMV steel construction oversight during vessel fabrication, including panel assembly, block erection and surface preparation. She/He will cooperate with a team of fellow inspectors and is expected to carry-out the following fundamental duties:
- Embrace and promote the onsite safety program as instituted by the shipyard and TOTE Services.
- Demonstrate ongoing good communication skills, both within the inspection team and with external stakeholders.
- Provide cooperative work habits with the team of inspectors and subject matter experts to verify quality workmanship and contract compliance during all stages of vessel construction.
- Perform detailed steel fabrication and welding inspections throughout the build period to verify weld quality, adherence to published drawings, contract compliance and accuracy control.
- Exercise proficiency in understanding production drawings in preparation for the daily and long-term inspection regime and validate design changes and assist with the resolution of technical issues.
- Participate in the execution of the Test and Inspection Plan and propose strategies for efficient production oversight.
- Cooperate with regulatory bodies, including ABS and USCG.
- Attend key inspections to verify and document the production, erection and performance of the vessel, its systems, and equipment.
- Independently evaluate the shipbuilder’s progress against the published schedule and provide recurring status updates to the Chief Inspector.
- Populate and manage documentation of construction inspections and keep records of inspection outcomes.
- Prepare for inspections by studying the pertinent drawings, vendor data and material certificates, while fully understanding the applicable rules and regulations before engaging with the shipyard and regulatory bodies.
- 5+ years of related experience in new construction shipbuilding.
- AWS Certified Welding Inspector for structural steel, with SCWI preferred.
- Proficient in shipbuilding best-practices, techniques, and production planning.
- Significant recent experience working with or for USCG and/or one of the major marine Classification Societies.
- Ability to read and interpret ship construction drawings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Programs
High School Diploma or GED with bachelor’s degree in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture or another related field preferred.