Manager/Senior Manager, Benefits
Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: June 4, 2019
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
The Manager, Benefits is an experienced, motivated, detail-oriented HR professional who has significant benefits (health & retirement) experience and also is knowledgeable about general HR practices. This position will lead the design, strategy and compliance activities related to the health benefit programs with an annual cost of $50M and for the 401(k) Plan with assets of over $400M. This role will be a “trusted advisor” to the stakeholders across Saltchuk’s 6 business units and the point person for managing vendor relations.
- Oversees 401(k) retirement plan with $400M+ in assets, including plan compliance, plan testing and audits. Manages investment and administrative committee activities.
- Leads 401(k) vendor partnerships, ensures up to date plan documents and policies. Provides strategic leadership across all business units. Serves as the liaison for business units on escalated employee issues and as the plan expert.
- Leads the long-term health and welfare benefits strategy across the Saltchuk family of companies to ensure plans are market competitive, support talent retention and acquisition, and enhance value for employees and their families, while balancing the financial objectives of the corporation.
- Manages all aspects of health and welfare plans including plan documents, COBRA, and the annual benefits renewal process by leading the efforts across all the business units and partnering with the benefits broker and administrator. Manages claims utilization, plan compliance, reporting, and uses trend analysis to recommend plan improvements.
- Evaluates the utilization of the wellness program and recommends ways to enhance participation. Conducts an annual analysis of the program effectiveness in improving employee wellness and reducing health care costs.
- Develops education and communications to ensure HR staff and employees understand the value of Saltchuk benefit plans to enhance appreciation.
- Ensures all plans are fully compliant, maintains up to date plan documents, including amendments as needed. Oversees all legal and regulatory requirements are met, including managing required audits, 5500 form completion, ACA reporting, etc.
- Key contact with benefits broker and benefits liaison with business units. Responsible for all health and retirement vendor partnerships, contract renewals and service level agreements.
- Serves as a resource and advisor for business units on complex benefits matters. Also serves as the liaison for the business units on escalated employee issues if needed.
- Works closely with the Sr. Director and SVP, HR on collaboration initiatives.
- Other duties in support of HR and Saltchuk strategies, including HR data consolidation for ACA, EEO, some compensation analysis and reporting, and other reporting requirements.
- Supports the Saltchuk corporate home office staff, assisting with new hire on-boarding, benefit education etc.
- Travels to visit subsidiary companies, and attends meetings & conferences as needed.
- Occasional backup for corporate home payroll as needed.
- Bachelor's degree required in HR, Business, or a related field
- Benefit Certifications preferred (CBP, CEBS)
- HR certification helpful - PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP
Experience and Skills
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 8 years directly related benefits experience. Experience working in a multi-business unit environment helpful.
- Significant experience with 401(k)’s is required. Pension and non-qualified plan experience is a plus.
- Solid understanding of compliance requirements and best practices related to benefits plans (health & retirement.)
- Comfortable working as an individual contributor and working collaboratively with senior management and other HR leaders. Thinks strategically and can be hands-on.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent skills creating benefit education presentations and delivering or co-facilitating with HR staff.
- Collaborative and team oriented approach is essential.
- Strong project and process management skills with a demonstrated track record of delivering results
- Solid analytical skills with an attention to detail
- Strong business acumen, consulting, and problem solving skills