Manager, Contracts Administration/Estimating
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Management
Publish Date: July 28, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Responsible for the preparation of shipyard estimates and pricing. Provides shipyard contract administration supervision for federal, state, local contracts as well as some commercial contracts. Works directly with Sales Manager to actively monitor for new solicitations. Prepares estimating standards and schedules. Acts as project manager for major shipyard contracts.
- Prepares and supervises cost estimates and pricing for competitive bids. Conducts industry review with Sales Manager to analyze competitor’s ability to bid each project.
- Prepares and negotiates contract “change proposals” of jobs in progress. This requires coordination with ships superintendents, project managers, and craft supervision. Attendance at each job site is essential.
- Conducts historical research on actual shipyard performance for the development of estimating standards, and job performance analysis.
- Arranges and conducts work scoping, ship checks and conferences as needed.
- Administers internal bid reviews to obtain input from production team. Provides handoff to project managers for jobs that have been secured.
- Works with Sales Manager to actively monitor a variety of federal, state, and local solicitation sites to search for bidding opportunities. Whenever possible, signs up for automatic e-mail notification of bid opportunities.
- Keeps current with respect to new and changed government regulations which will affect our government contracts.
- Provides updated certifications and representations to the government agencies we deal with.
- Makes arrangements for contract bonding and insurance requirements.
- Provides project management function for large and complex jobs. Sets up tracking documentation. Monitor project activity. Presides at project meetings. Seeks assistance from the shipyard production manager when necessary.
- Provides assistance to shipyard project managers as required for shipyard commercial and Foss internal projects including insights as to how the projects were estimated and options to improve production
- Assists project managers with estimating and negotiating contract changes with the customer.
- Be a leader for “SpeakUp”, including encouraging peers and staff to exhibit a safe and ethical culture.
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates regional/department goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Adheres to all company policies.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of ships and their construction, including steel, mechanical, sheet metal, piping, and electrical work.
- Knowledge on how shipyard crafts interrelate and their specific duties.
- Proficient with Government regulations, negotiations, methods of proposal preparation and invoicing. Budgets, schedules and cost controls.
- Proficient with computers, including Microsoft Office products and other enterprise systems, with the ability to learn and use new programs, as conditions require.
- Must have knowledge of all aspects of ship repair activity. Craft experience is desired but not mandatory.
- Ability to read and comprehend work requests, specifications, drawings, sketches, and contract documents, converse intelligently with vessel owners, engineers, government contract administrators and military personnel.
- The ability to recognize challenging requirements and make responsive suggestions. Make risk assessments and present them to shipyard management for consideration.
- Must have working knowledge of cost accounting and cost accounting standards and the ability to combine several information sources into comprehensive reports for shipyard management, craft supervision and in some cases our commercial customers.
- Provide direction, guidance, and supervision to others that may be assigned to assist in estimating projects.
- Exercise indirect supervision and motivation to others when acting as a project manager in such a manner as to be proactive and productive while keeping the goal of profitability in the foreground.
- Excellent communication / human relations skills to accomplish the following:
- Establish and maintain “close” relationship with shipyard sales, the production department, ship superintendents, craft supervision, and project managers.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various government and commercial entities.
- Motivate others to assist in a common goal, “Ahead of Schedule and Under Budget.”
A four-year college degree and three – five years of experience is desirable. However related work experience coupled with other post-secondary education would be acceptable in place of a Bachelor’s degree.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.