Manager Barge Operations
Location: San Francisco
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Management
Publish Date: August 8, 2019
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Responsible for direct supervision and management of the day-to-day operations of the tank barge fleet. Essential functions include, but are not limited to, managing the tank barge workforce, regulatory and safety compliance, maximizing equipment utilization, providing backup support to marine transportation staff, and responding to emergencies.
- Supervises Tankermen and monitors efficiency and performance.
- Assists with annual training of tank barge workforce.
- Works with Port Engineer to direct, supervise, and monitor planned and unplanned repairs on petroleum barge fleet working within established budgets and time frames.
- Schedules and oversees all regulatory inspections.
- Addresses and corrects any issues arising from inspections.
- Supervises and oversees tank barge scheduling performed by the marine transportation staff in order to ensure maximum equipment utilization at all times.
- Advises Petroleum Coordinator on suitability of barges for projected work.
- Assists with the development and management of planned maintenance budgets for petroleum tank barges.
- Provides backup support to marine transportation staff for vacations, illnesses, and as otherwise needed.
Compliance and Safety:
- Ensures successful compliance with state and federal barge operation regulations.
- Directs onboard supervision of all high-risk cargo transfer operations.
- Conducts routine audits.
- Fulfills all environmental reporting.
- Monitors all environmental regulatory issues.
- Responds to emergency calls at night, weekends, and holidays.
- Generates new customers and contacts, maintains customer relations with existing clients.
- Seeks new opportunities for revenue.
- Assists regional sales management and operations management with special projects and customer presentations development as directed.
- Prepares operational and revenue plan/budget.
Supervisory and Leadership of Direct Staff
- Responsible for all matters of employment including recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline and termination.
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates regional goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Processes employee evaluations in a timely manner.
- Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Tug and barge operations.
- Pumping systems on company tank barges as well as those of competition.
- Hydraulics theory and systems along with a complete understanding of the Code of Federal Regulations pertaining to tank barges and the transportation of petroleum and chemical products.
- Diesel engine and pump operations, hull, and machinery in order to supervise all maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of labor relations.
- Operational costs and regulatory restrictions.
- Prior experience with ship or barge loading programs.
- Liquid weight conversion tables for calculation of load and hull stresses.
- Command of English language necessary for oral and written communication.
- Ability to ensure compliance with state and federal tank barge operations, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Basic understanding of cost accounting, budgeting and forecasting.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent leadership and communications skills.
This position generally requires a high school diploma and at least ten years of experience in the tank barge field. Must possess a valid driver’s license and maintain a current grade “A” Tankerman’s license/endorsement including Tankerman PIC.
Work is performed in environments ranging from outside to inside, noisy to quiet, hot to cold, and wet to dry as well as in normal office environments. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel may also be required. On-call status is required 24/7 along. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.