Company: TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Legal
Publish Date: January 29, 2019
Company Description: From humble beginnings in 1985 as a two tug-and-barge operation, to introducing the world’s first LNG-powered containerships, TOTE Maritime’s commitment to the people of Puerto Rico has never wavered. Offering twice-weekly scheduled sailings from the Port of Jacksonville to San Juan Puerto Rico, plus service to St. Thomas. Our employees embody commitment, dedication and teamwork. Whether you are looking for a shipboard position or career that keeps your feet on the ground in Puerto Rico, Florida or our U.S. Virgin Island terminals - TOTE Maritime offers a competitive compensation package and an environment that supports your career development, recognizes your achievements and has a keen respect for work-life balance.
TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
The Legal Assistant is a highly motivated, independent problem-solver that will become an integral team member to a dynamic Legal Department. The position directly supports the General Counsel.
Legal Services and Support
- Ensure proper administration of broad array of legal matters and efficient functioning of department.
- Manage litigation/claims support including tracking deadlines, coordinating between outside counsel and internal clients, preparing draft responses, issuing litigation holds, investigating factual allegations, etc.
- Provide initial review and preparation of certain legal documents including Non-disclosure Agreements, independent contractor agreements and other form agreements, including the processing of certain legal documents for signature.
- Coordinate and assist with the review of legal documents by outside counsel.
- Assist with development and administration of a legal forms database.
- Coordinate due diligence on various transactions as needed.
- Assist on projects as assigned by the General Counsel.
- Take notes at in-house counsel and other meetings and prepare initial drafts of minutes.
- Assist with management of legal and compliance resources, including intranet portal site, online research subscriptions, and similar tools and technology.
- Assist with preparation of reports and administration of vendor invoices through Legal Tracker e-billing system.
- Assist with the management preparation and formatting of presentations, reports, and other documents.
- Assist with corporate records management and administration (e.g., maintain repository of current contracts and assist with tracking renewals and other contractual requirements).
- Support administration of hotline, including coordinating with business units to resolve matters within protocol timeline and other requirements.
- Assist with tracking, evaluation, and administration of Ethics & Compliance program evaluation.
- Assist with development and administration of Compliance training program.
- Assist with development, maintenance, and administration of corporate policies (e.g., maintain repository of current policies and assist with researching and benchmarking policy best practices).
- Assist Risk Management with the preparation of insurance claims including obtaining responsive information from the business units communications and preparing other requirements.
- Coordinate with Risk Management and in-house counsel to assist with tracking and administration of the Enterprise Risk Management program’s risk assessments and associated mitigation measures.
- Coordinate with Risk Management and in-house counsel to assist with compiling and tracking uninsured legal and compliance risks.
- Assist in special projects (such as planning and coordination of risk manager best practice sharing meetings).
- Manage General Counsel’s calendar, including internal and external contacts.
- Keep General Counsel on track with schedule, travel and daily meeting cadence.
- Operate as direct point of contact for General Counsel and legal department internally and externally.
- Provide travel planning management for General Counsel, including reconciliation of travel expenses and process expenses for approval/payment.
- Coordinate and arrange meetings, prepare agendas, reserve and prepare facilities/rooms, and meeting minutes for General Counsel.
- Prepare outgoing mail and correspondence for General Counsel.
- Assist with preparation of agendas, minutes, and related materials for legal and compliance meetings.
Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- 5 + years in a similar role desired.
- Experience working in legal, compliance, contract admin or related helpful, but not required.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal communication skills required.
- A team player who is committed to the success of the organization.
- Previous experience working in a team oriented, collaborative work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision on multiple tasks, prioritize, and provide a high-quality work product with excellent attention to details under tight deadlines.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office. Experience with Concur, Westlaw, SharePoint, Legal Tracker and contract management systems is a plus.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards and respect confidentiality of sensitive matters.