Journeyman – Sandblaster, Swing Shift
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Labor
Publish Date: July 27, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Seattle Shipyard Laborer Journeyman are responsible for vessel preparation, general clean-up, and dry-docking operations.
- Independently work and complete projects to Foss and Industry standards will little to no supervision; takes ownership and accountability of work assignments and task.
- Able to work well in a team, collaborate on complex task, and communicate project requirements.
- Demonstrate an uncompromising commitment to safety.
- Regular and predictable attendance; reports to work on time, on a regular basis and returns promptly from breaks and meal periods.
- Read and interpret plans, instructions, and specifications to determine work activities.
- Perform basic mathematics and take measurements.
- Perform basic checks and test to ensure equipment is working properly.
- Ability to read and comprehend Competent Person Board.
- Maintain organization and housekeeping in work area and shop.
- Operate basic construction equipment.
- Foss will provide training and certification as needed.
- Enter and move through manholes to reach and work in internally confined spaces.
- Transverse gangways and scaffolding at varying heights.
- May be required to travel to jobsites away from Shipyard and utilize company vehicle.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Clean and prepare sites to eliminate possible hazards; performs general clean-up activities, such as: sweeping, mopping, washing windows, and removal of rubble and debris (List Not All-Inclusive).
- Clean chemicals and oils out of marine vessels and shore tanks.
- Set-up, tear-down, and maintain blasting equipment.
- Directs blast of abrasive-laden compressed air against metal or hard-composition objects to remove adhering scale, paint, rust, and dirt.
- Set-up, tear-down, and maintain pressure washing equipment.
- Directs blast of highly pressurized water against metal or hard-composition objects to remove adhering scale, paint, rust, and dirt.
- Stacking, un-stacking, and movement of various materials across the Shipyard.
- Rough paint work such as marking material for identification.
This position generally requires 3-5 years’ strong labor experience, preferably within the maritime industry. Graduate of an apprenticeship program or trade school preferred. Must be a union member in good standing, or join union upon hiring in.
Work is performed in a Shipyard and there may be extreme temperatures and conditions. At times you will work in areas that have less adequate ventilation. There will be heavy lifting and climbing to work in high places and confined spaces. The work can often be dirty and difficult. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.