Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Mechanic
Publish Date: November 16, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
Troubleshoots and repairs main and auxiliary engines, electrical AC & DC systems. Will have a lead role in performing and overseeing completion of maintenance routines and inspections (Safety management system) this includes a good understanding of computer programs. Maintains and performs upgrades to all phases of marine vessels and barge systems. This is to include management of hazardous and non-hazardous waste materials, proper utilization of resources and strategic planning that lends itself to absolute minimum downtime of company equipment. Associated skills required are the ability to perform accurate diagnostic evaluations and service/repair recommendations. A high level of cost sensitivity and professionalism is required, as the position will occasionally require serving as owners’ representative. Additionally, safe operation of yard equipment and machinery is required.
Vessel Maintenance and Repair
- Performs preventative maintenance, repairs and upgrades to marine vessels and equipment in accordance with company standards and regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for the entering, updating, and maintaining of service records of the work performed on equipment and vessels into a computer-based maintenance record and Safety Management System.
- Ability to use a computer to perform Internet based research on how to perform repairs and source necessary parts.
- Assists in diagnostic evaluations of machinery.
- Performs repairs on barge equipment.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
Scheduling, Delegating Tasks, Overseeing of Yard
- Able to perform maintenance and repair task with limited supervision.
- Ability to direct vendors and vessel crews assisting in repairs.
Shoreside Equipment and Facilities Maintenance and Repair
- Maintains yard and shop equipment in accordance with company and applicable regulatory agencies standards.
- Maintains “safe workplace” standards up to and including reporting and correcting deficiencies.
Ensures proper handling, storage, transportation, and disposal of all environmentally sensitive materials.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to repair and operate a wide range of machinery including engines, winches, motors, and transmissions.
- Knowledge of operational theory of high-speed marine and industrial engines, both two and four cycle.
- Basic diagnostic and repair abilities with regard to marine subsystems such as pneumatic control systems, hydraulic systems, electrical systems, and fuel systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both in verbal and written form.
- Thorough understanding of equipment operation manuals, drawings, charts, graphs and blueprints.
- Ability to use computer to enter and maintain maintenance/service records into computers system.
- Basic typing and good keyboard computer skills
Work is performed in environments wherein oily decks, high room temperatures, and high noise levels will be present. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
This position generally requires a high school diploma and at least five years of mechanical experience.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.