Indirect Tax Manager
Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Finance
Publish Date: June 19, 2020
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
Who are you?
You’re an experienced tax professional with demonstrated ability to identify opportunity and bring value to our company through indirect taxes. You have worked in both the public and private sector and are passionate about putting to use your strong technical knowledge of non-income taxes such as sales/use taxes, B&O taxes, fuel taxes, aviation excise taxes, property taxes, and other business licenses. You’re a communicator who can act both on the professional scale expected of a multinational corporation, and in a smaller, less formal environment. You’re enthusiastic, taking the initiative while engaging those around you. Simply put, you keep your eyes on the details and your mind on the big picture.
As an Indirect Tax Manager at Saltchuk, you’ll focus your keen attention to detail on Saltchuk’s non-income tax compliance and reporting requirements. The job includes coordination with Saltchuk companies to identify opportunities and areas of risk related to new investments or acquisitions through tax research, managing tax audits and special projects. You’ll stay current on US, state and foreign tax laws, evaluating impacts on Saltchuk and its affiliates. You’ll help identify significant tax issues related to our companies’ operations, research the related technical tax issues and craft memos to document your recommended solutions or strategies. You’ll assist with monthly and quarterly estimated tax payment computations and monthly tax reconciliations. Working with the Managing Director of Tax, you’ll manage federal, state and international tax audits. As you identify them, you’ll recommend and implement improvements in execution for the corporate home office’s tax functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field.
- Master’s degree in Taxation or LLM is preferred but not required.
- CPA certification preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- At least five years in the indirect tax area, preferably with a combination of public and private experience.
- Knowledge inside and out of non-income taxes such as sales/use taxes, B&O taxes, fuel taxes, aviation excise taxes, property taxes, and other business licenses.
- Analytical thinking, problem solving, planning/organizing, decision-making, and strong follow-through skills.
- You have experience identifying opportunities and bringing value to companies through indirect taxes.
- You are an effective communicator, with demonstrated ability to collaborate and present your work confidently and effectively.
- You don’t wait around to be told what to do – you take the initiative to accomplish tasks. You don’t shy away from new assignments.
- You’re good at balancing multiple assignments and work well under deadline pressure.
- You work well with people at all levels.
- You enjoy learning new systems and processes but aren’t shy about suggesting process improvements.
- You are tech savvy and have advanced Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word skills, knowledge of Windows environment, and experience with tax return software.
What benefits does Saltchuk offer?
Our new corporate home offices with sweeping views of Elliot Bay are conveniently located in Pioneer Square, just two blocks from the ferry terminal, light rail and transit centers where you can use your company provided Orca card. You’ll get market-competitive benefits: medical, dental and vision plans, life insurance, and disability benefits. We also practice generous 401(k) company matching to help you save for your future.
All Saltchuk companies prohibit discrimination based on race; gender, gender identity, or gender expression; sexual orientation; geographic background; national origin; culture; age; disability; veteran status; economic status; marital status; religious beliefs; or genetics.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org