Human Resources Director
Company: Northern Air Cargo
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: November 13, 2020
Company Description: Northern Air Cargo (NAC), headquartered in Anchorage, is Alaska largest all-cargo airline and the longest continuously operating cargo airline in North America. NAC has provided airfreight services to Alaska’s rural communities for more than 60 years and is rapidly expanding to include air cargo flight operations throughout the western hemisphere and Hawaii. NAC maintains a fleet of Boeing 737 and 767 freighters and operates pilot bases in Anchorage, Honolulu, Miami and Laredo. NAC’s fleet of B737s provide schedule service between Anchorage and 13 Alaska communities and charter service throughout North America (both on-demand and ACMI). While the B767 fleet operates out of Miami in support of sister company StratAir and out of Honolulu in support of sister company Aloha Air Cargo.
Northern Air Cargo
Great opportunity for an experienced human resources leader! Do you like a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can make an impact?
The Human Resource Director oversees the Human Resources function for Northern Air Cargo. This role is responsible for strategic planning and collaboration, compliance oversight, and standardization of the function across brands, where appropriate. They also serve as a liaison with the Saltchuk Human Resources department and collaborates as part of the Saltchuk HR Leadership Team.
Northern Aviation Services is a wholly owned subsidiary within the Saltchuk family of companies, providing a range of aviation related support services primarily in North America with revenues of over $250 million. Through our operating brands, Northern Air Cargo, Aloha Air Cargo, and StratAir we collectively transport over 250 million pounds of freight annually via our scheduled cargo service in Alaska and Hawaii and on-demand charters throughout North and South America. Other services include third party aircraft maintenance, management services and consulting expertise, aviation support services for large-scale industrial projects, and scheduled freighter service throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. Our nearly 1,200 employees are committed to providing safe, reliable service for our valued customers, which include most major freight companies and air cargo integrators in the markets we serve. NAC is also a member of the Civil Reserve Air Fleet in support of the US Department of Defense.
- As a member of the NAS HR Leadership Team, participate in developing employee compensation and benefits, employee relations and general employment policies and procedures (P&Ps) as the NAC representative.
- Recommend benefit plan design and offerings including insurance, ancillary benefits, and other perks offered to employees, oversee NAC open enrollment and benefit strategy.
- Make recommendations and collaborate with NAC leaders on key decision making in a variety of areas.
- Drive new processes, as well as being responsible for introducing enhancements to existing processes or programs, with an eye toward continuous improvement.
- Supervise local NAC HR team.
- Lead the implementation of audit programs that ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations such as EEO, ADA, FMLA, W/C, mandated drug/alcohol testing programs, airport security and OSHA for NAC
- Collaborate with the Safety Department on assessment and implementation of NAC workers compensation claims and the Injury Management Programs. Provide oversight on administration of the workers compensation and injury management function for NAC.
- Responsible for development and implementation of NAC Employee Services programs including recruitment, onboarding, benefits, recognition, employee relations, HRIS, etc.
- Coordinate all regulatory and contractual Employee Services activities as required for NAC.
- Represent NAC in collective bargaining and related labor relations issues for represented employees.
- Lead, coach, and develop thee NAC employee services team to ensure succession planning, individual professional development, and coverage of services.
- As a member of the NAS HR Leadership Team, participate in developing establish and maintain compensation philosophy and structure, including periodic wage studies and market analysis. Lead annual compensation review and periodic wage adjustments outside of annual review, in conjunction with NAS HR Leadership Team
- Lead annual performance review process. Coach and guide managers throughout NAC on how to handle employee issues and concerns, enforce company policies, and ensure knowledge of resources available to them.
- Ensure compliance with FMLA, reasonable accommodations, ADA and other leave requirements.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5-8 years equivalent level experience as a Director of Human Resources, including prior experience with auditing of records and ensuring compliance with regulatory and/or contractual requirements.
- Undergraduate college degree in business, human resources, or related field is preferred. Extensive experience may be substituted.
- A professional certification in HR (i.e. PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP) preferred. Combination of education or experience may be substituted at company discretion.
- Comprehensive knowledge of human resource management, including laws and regulations governing the employee services functions.
- Labor Relations experience, including bargaining, addressing grievances and arbitrations strongly preferred
- Experience working a highly regulated environment strongly preferred
- Effective leadership and interpersonal skills to communicate with a wide variety of audiences including senior level managers, regulatory agencies, contractors, company-wide peers, subordinates and others.
- Ability to calculate and analyze key metrics to identify trends and opportunities for improvement.
- Strong proficiency in utilizing HRIS systems, UltiPro preferred, including reporting functionality (Cognos preferred).
- Strong proficiency in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Travel out of state and/or within the state of AK will be required for this position; approximately 5-10% of the time.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check and drug screening.
Positions at this level have a high level of contact with management and staff throughout the organization.
STRESS ON THE JOB
Positions at this level will encounter varying degrees of stress throughout the month, including some periods of high stress.
Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
Most work requires normal physical effort.
Requires use of personal computer (word processing and spreadsheets) for compiling reports, statistical data, composing memoranda and other similar documents.
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.