Human Resources Director
Company: TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: February 5, 2019
Company Description: From humble beginnings in 1985 as a two tug-and-barge operation, to introducing the world’s first LNG-powered containerships, TOTE Maritime’s commitment to the people of Puerto Rico has never wavered. Offering twice-weekly scheduled sailings from the Port of Jacksonville to San Juan Puerto Rico, plus service to St. Thomas. Our employees embody commitment, dedication and teamwork. Whether you are looking for a shipboard position or career that keeps your feet on the ground in Puerto Rico, Florida or our U.S. Virgin Island terminals - TOTE Maritime offers a competitive compensation package and an environment that supports your career development, recognizes your achievements and has a keen respect for work-life balance.
TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
Recruit, retain, and develop a high performing and agile workforce and foster a culture to support it. Plan, develop, and manage all aspects of Human Resources activities to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Employment: Plan staffing needs; develop recruiting and selection criteria; manage the onboarding process for new employees; define labor sources; monitor effects of staffing and selection process; maintain Affirmative Action Plan, meet or exceed all Equal Employment Opportunity goals. Provide organizational reporting (organizational charts, head counts, EEO data, etc.) as required.
- Employee Relations: Work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention. Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations. Work directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters. Conduct exit interviews to understand the employee experience and make recommendations for improvement.
- Talent Management: Maintain a positive and open culture; Provide counsel and mentor to employees and management; plan and develop meaningful feedback methods and practices including employee recognition and rewards programs. Provide day-to-day performance management guidance to line managers, as required.
- Compliance: Manage company compliance program; maintain data as required for internal and external audits and federal reporting; create processes ensuring adequate controls; perform departmental audits to ensure proper employee record keeping; provide reports as requested by internal customers.
- Policies and Procedures: Implement and manage all human resource policies, procedures and employee handbooks. Provide policy guidance and interpretation. Keep management advised of changing policies and procedures in the human resource field.
- Compensation: Establish goals and rationale for compensation at the direction of senior management; define compensation issues; develop pay structures; wage and salary administration; manage performance evaluation system; and job descriptions.
- Employee benefits: Manage all employee benefit programs to include: medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term disability programs, insurance programs; 401K/165(e) deferred compensation plans; and other employee benefit programs.
- Wellness: Develop, implement, and oversee a total wellness program to promote good health including employee education, health management goals and tracking systems, and reward systems.
- Participate on committees and special projects and seek additional responsibilities.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience required in Human Resources and/or Organizational Development. Previous experience should include management of others and handling employee relations issues.
- Must possess a high level of Emotional Intelligence, team building, and communication skills.
- Ability to carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Experience in interviewing, hiring, training employees; planning, assigning, directing work; coaching, appraising performance; rewarding, disciplining employees; and resolving problems.
- Previous policy creation, review, and administration experience.
- Experience with compensation analysis and compilation of market data required.
- Legal knowledge of state and federal payroll regulations preferred.
- Must possess proficient knowledge in MS Office.
- Experience with Ultimate Software a plus.
- Adherence to the Integrated Management System that covers Quality, Environmental, and Safety ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certifications.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree required.
- Certification: PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP preferred.