Human Resources Assistant
Company: Young Brothers, Limited
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: December 10, 2018
Company Description: Looking for career opportunities with a dynamic, fast-paced company that can result in long-term employment while serving the various communities in Hawaii? If you are, then consider a position with Young Brothers, Ltd. (YB) – on the forefront of the marine freight transportation business. We offer competitive salaries, benefits and future growth opportunities for both shoreside and seagoing careers. At YB, our employees are our most important resource and one of the pillars that help to support a strong foundation on which our company is built. We achieve this through seeking people who are team players, professional, motivated and committed to winning and meeting the needs of our customers and our communities.
Young Brothers, Limited
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide general administrative and clerical support to the Human Resource Department. Responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations of the human resources functions and duties.
GENERAL HR SUPPORT
- Supports the day-to-day administration and projects related to the strategic goals of the HR department.
- Answering phones, receiving visitors, maintaining supplies and keeping the HR area clean and presentable.
- Prepares correspondence and other documents. Coordinates mailings and distribution of materials.
- Schedules conference rooms and arranges catering for various meetings/events.
- Participates in staff meetings and attends other meetings as necessary.
- Administers leave requests and ensures compliance under federal and state regulations.
- Administers various rewards and recognition programs.
- Participates in planning and implementing various employee relations and employee satisfaction initiatives.
- Adheres to all company policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Post open positions using the Applicate Tracking System
- Distributes job postings internally and externally as directed.
- Coordinates and schedules interviews.
- Coordinates appointments with clinics for physicals and drug testing.
- Assists with new employee paperwork, onboarding/orientations and new hire training.
- Schedules new employee orientation.
- Prepares paperwork required for new hires and establishes personnel files.
- Keeps employee records up-to-date by processing employee status changes in a timely manner.
- Maintains personnel and confidential files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
ADMINISTER DRUG AND ALCOHOL POLICY
- Support the Designated Employer Representative (DER) with administering Drug and Alcohol programs.
- Coordinates appointments for drug testing with clinics or on-site.
- Receive and record test results in ADP.
- Maintain a good filing and record keeping system in compliance with the United States Coast Guard regulations.
- Notify appropriate staff of results. Handle positive test results per DOT and USCG regulations.
- Order supplies.
- Process and track monthly invoices and reconcile any discrepancies.
- Keep employee and boat list up-to-date with third party vendor.
- Track New hire verification for employment background check.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to handle confidential and sensitive Company information. Majority of tasks are performed in a confidential environment.
- Must be able to understand and follow instructions, both written and verbal.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Ability to use routine office equipment such as multi-line phone systems, Personal Computer, fax machine and copier.
- Ability to maintain a professional, friendly and cooperative demeanor at all times.
- Ability to use discretion and keep sensitive material confidential.
- Ability to organize workload, prioritized and manage several diverse projects simultaneously.
- Must be detail oriented and able to learn new tasks.
Associates Degree and minimum one year experience in Human Resources and Staffing, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Work is performed in a normal office environment. Requires the ability to move between office buildings which entails ascending/descending stairs and going outdoors in all types of weather. Work is performed during normal business hours; however, occasional overtime is required as workload dictates. Overtime may be required with little advance notice. Must be able to work in a highly confidential environment. Frequently has knowledge of privileged information and must be able to handle the information in a professional manner.
Young Brothers, Limited is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Young Brothers, Limited is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.