Location: San Francisco
Company: Starlight Marine
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Human Resources, Operations, Safety
Publish Date: March 29, 2021
Company Description: Starlight Marine has been actively engaged in the ship assist and tanker escort business of the maritime industry since 1998. Since then, we have grown to be a leading provider of assist and escort services providing quality service to major shipping lines and oil companies. Our growing fleet of harbor tugs routinely assists container, bulk, and petroleum tankers into and out of port. In many cases, the assists require the use of multiple tugs working in concert to safely dock and undock vessels in restricted waterways. Our fleet of ship assist tugs is the best in the business, boasting competitive horsepower and green engines serving the LA/Long Beach, San Francisco/Oakland, and PNW ports.
We’re Saltchuk Marine’s Newest California tug Operator and we’re growing
Specializing in tugboat harbor services throughout northern and southern California, Starlight Marine Services is under new ownership and we are looking to complete our team. We’re not looking to hire just anyone. We’re seeking a skilled and experienced Safety/HR Professional who takes pride in their ability to get things done. Visit www.starlighttug.com to learn more about us.
Who are you?
You’re skilled and have experience administering HR and Safety programs. You don’t like doing the same thing over and over. You have a sense of adventure, like the challenge of working for a service industry and enjoy using your knowledge to serve people. You enjoy independence and want a professional challenge. You either have maritime background or are over-the-moon about learning about our industry. You’ll be part of a small but energized team at a company bursting at the seams with opportunity.
This is a hybrid role. As HSE/HR Coordinator, you’ll be responsible for maintaining safety and quality management systems in support of compliance and operational excellence. You’ll also provide advice, guidance, and support to management regarding a wide variety of human resource functions such as recruitment and selection, equal employment opportunity, investigations, leaves, reasonable accommodation, training, compensation, and employee and labor relations.
Responsibilities of HSE/HR Coordinator
Health, Safety, and Environment
- You’ll manage the safety and quality management system procedures including incident and injury reporting
- You’ll support (near miss) incident reporting, ensuring that trends are identified and communicated to the boat crews
- You’ll coordinate investigation of incidents
- You’ll complete internal and coordinate external audits as required by the ISM Code, ISO 9001, OCIMF, TMSA, OVMSA, OVID & SIRE
- You’ll organize periodic safety committee meetings
- You’ll coordinate the Management of Change Program
- You’ll manage shipboard and shoreside environmental programs including facility storm water management, facility waste, and hazmat compliance programs
- You’ll coordinate collection of safety metrics
- You’ll coordinate job safety/environmental training and oversee safety and regulatory training
- You’ll develop and distribute alerts on relevant health, safety, and environmental matters
- You’ll develop, track, and manage the implementation of corrective and preventative actions identified in audits, incident investigations, near misses and safety observations
- You’ll track all injuries including recordable injuries, maintain OSHA records, conduct annual OSHA reporting, and ensure compliance with OSHA standards
- You’ll monitor the quality of vessel emergency drills and JSA’s through onboard observation
- You’ll liaise with regional regulatory representatives: OSHA, USCG, ABS, OSPR, etc.
- You’ll coordinate implementation of a Business Continuity Plan
- You’ll review timesheets, calculate and record pay adjustments and prepare electronic employee records and data for payroll processing
- You’ll administer talent acquisition/recruitment activities, including:
- Post positions to external job boards, social networking sites (e.g., LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Glassdoor), etc.
- Conduct initial job screenings
- Post positions to Applicant Tracking System
- Manage job offers in ATS
- Schedule phone, video and in-person interviews for hiring managers
- Arrange travel and transportation for applicants
- Coordinate background, drug testing and reference checking
- Oversee new hire orientation, onboarding, I-9, and e-Verify processes
- Ensure compliance with EEO and OFCCP; compile and submit data for federally required reporting (e.g., EEO-1, AA, Vets 4212 and DOL reports)
- You’ll consult with employees and supervisors and provide assistance regarding state, city and federal employment laws, collective bargaining agreements, policies, pay, etc.
- You’ll develop and implement personnel policies and procedures
- You’ll coordinate leaves of absence, per company policy and local and federal law
- You’ll manage unemployment claims using third party vendor
- You’ll prepare personnel change forms
- You’ll assist to develop and coordinate employee training using Cornerstone
- You’ll assist with performance evaluation processes using Cornerstone
- You’ll oversee DOT/USCG Drug and Alcohol program
- You’ll create and audit routine HR reports and coordinate requests for ad hoc reports
- You’ll manage requests for employment and unemployment verification using third party vendors
- You’ll establish and maintain HR employee files, administrative supplies and other inventory
- You’ll manage and maintain rewards and recognition programs
- You’ll process and manage monthly invoices
- You’ll coordinate employee events
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Maritime, Safety, HR, or related field
- You have 3 – 5 years’ experience as a HR/Safety Generalist
- You have a professional certification, e.g., CSP or PHR/SHRM-CP, alternatively 5 – 10 years’ work experience may be substituted for formal education.
- Maritime industry knowledge will give you an edge
- You have experience working with applicant tracking and HRIS systems; ADP experience a plus
- You have used social media for recruitment
- Certification to train CPR, first-aid and Hazwoper will get our attention
Experience and Skills:
- You understand current recruitment processes and marketing strategies
- You have administered Applicant Tracking Systems and reporting
- You have experience in general safety, basic industrial hygiene, incident investigation methods and training; marine transportation safety is a plus
- You have knowledge of local, state, and federal safety/environmental regulatory requirements
- You understand internal audit practices
- You thrive on managing multiple priorities with frequent interruptions, and can hit deadlines
- You have strong written/verbal communication skills, including good command of the English language, and can work with a wide variety of stakeholders with various backgrounds
- You’re ready and excited to work independently and as part of a team
- You handle confidential and sensitive company information well
- You have demonstrated proficiency with MS Office suite, including Outlook
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.