Harbor Tug Boat Captain/Deck Officer
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Logistics
Publish Date: October 12, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
The primary responsibility and authority for the execution of all vessel assignments including, but not limited to, planning the most efficient and safe operation of the vessel and its crew, implementing the operating plan in a cost-effective manner, and evaluating and reporting the results. It is the responsibility of all Masters to ensure compliance with policies and procedures, requirements and documentation in the Foss Safety Management System Manual (SMS). Masters have the specific obligation to ensure that all personnel assigned to vessels are provided with information, instructions and directions necessary for meeting the program objectives of safety, environmental protection and quality service through knowledgeable and competent execution of assigned tasks.
- Ensures safe navigation of the vessel at all times.
- Conducts required drills, training, safety meetings and maintains records of such, per company policy.
- Conducts and ensures compliance with vessel maintenance and inspection requirements as prescribed by the company.
- Inspects vessel to ensure conformance with safety standards and maritime regulations.
- Work closely with customers, pilots and appropriate government agencies to ensure the proper performance of the job.
- Ensures prompt and accurate reporting of all equipment failures, illnesses, incidents, accidents and damages.
- Maintains current knowledge of all maritime laws.
- Directs and supervises crew members in safe and productive operation of the vessel, its machinery and equipment.
- Holds crew accountable for their adherence to maritime law, company policies and procedures, and their individual performance/productivity.
- Evaluate all crewmembers in accordance with Company policy and take action as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be capable of operating tugs of the following propulsion types: ASD and Conventional.
- Must have extensive knowledge and capability of safely transiting as a Master in the Upper Columbia and Snake River system.
- Must be familiar with all aspects of routine harbor ship and barge work.
- Thorough knowledge of vessel handling and navigational skills commensurate with operating assignments.
- Strong leadership qualities including ability to accomplish work through others, diplomacy, time management, and interpersonal relationship skills to effectively lead crews and interact with customers.
- Must have current knowledge of all current maritime law.
- Working knowledge of propulsion, auxiliary and deck machinery.
- Must possess strong written and oral communicative skills.
- Must be able to economically supervise all aspects of the operation of the vessel, its cargo and crew.
- Must be able to work independently and without direct supervision.
- Ability to withstand exposure to all weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, heat, wind, heavy seas, etc.)
- Ability to adapt to a variety of schedules and hours
- Able to work weekends, holidays, and at night. Willing to take call outs.
- Experience working on Upper Columbia and Snake Rivers as vessel Master, ASD preferred, within the last 2 years.
- Minimum of 2 years experience operating harbor tugs of at least two propulsion types, ASD preferred.
- Required to possess a US Coast Guard Master’s License, 200 GRT or Greater (500 ITC) Near Coastal, with Towing endorsement.
- Must possess current MMC and TWIC
- 5 years experience as a Master or Operating Mate on towing vessels.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Must possess valid radar observer endorsement
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.