Company: Saltchuk Marine Shared Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting, Finance
Publish Date: February 1, 2021
Company Description: Saltchuk Marine Shared Services’ dynamic service-driven team provides a suite of support services including Accounting, Finance, Information Technology (IT), Human Resources (HR), HSQE, Legal/Risk, Fleet Monitoring and Business Development to Saltchuk Marine operating companies: Foss Maritime, AmNav, Cook Inlet Tug & Barge, and Young Brothers. Our team enables our sister companies to focus on the important work of keeping ships and cargo moving safely. SMSS is headquartered in Downtown Seattle’s Pioneer Square neighborhood with easy transit access and a beautiful view of Puget Sound.
Saltchuk Marine Shared Services
Reporting to the CFO, responsible for directing overall accounting activities for all Company lines of business, internal controls, financial reporting, and ad valorem tax compliance. Maximizes the return on invested capital by administering financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems that safeguard the assets and ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Own the monthly process of preparing and reviewing the consolidated financial statements for internal and external use, including performing detailed balance sheet analytics and verifying appropriateness of US GAAP adjustments and consolidation elimination entries.
- Establish, monitor, and enforce accounting policies and procedures in compliance with GAAP including any changes in GAAP in conjunction with the parent company accounting team.
- Ensure the integrity of financial results through the development, implementation, and support of proper internal controls.
- Responsible for overall company financial accounting activities, including accuracy and daily productivity of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, perpetual inventory integrity, fixed asset records, treasury, state and local taxes, and cost accounting.
- Define, develop, and implement best in class processes leveraging the capabilities of the Accounting team, Foss’ ERP system, and supporting tools.
- Ensure proper implementation and use of GL chart of account design, profit center structure and cost center structure.
- Manage relationship with external auditors for all audits of annual financials including company retirement plans.
- Work closely with parent company Internal Audit group, ensuring internal control objectives are met.
- Work closely with parent company Treasury to enact any financing arrangements related to Foss and ensure appropriate controls around cash and banking systems.
- Work closely with Director, FP&A during the budget and forecasting process, preparation of monthly variance analysis, and evaluation of cost structure in support of business objectives.
SUPERVISION AND LEADERSHIP OF DIRECT STAFF:
- Directs, motivates and develops Accounting team (consisting of general accounting, payroll, credit and collections, billing and accounts payable) to support operations and parent company efficiently and effectively.
- Responsible for all matters of team structure and employment including department organization, recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline, and termination.
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates function and/or regional goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Processes performance evaluations in a timely, effective, and fair manner.
- Establishes goals, monitors progress and results of direct reports.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to lead, manage and mentor a diverse team of professional finance staff.
- Strong listening, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to research technical accounting issues, exercise professional judgment and document conclusions/recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to blend management accounting skills (including financial analysis and GAAP expertise) with operational acumen.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills including delivering presentations to executive level.
- Capable of interfacing objectively with people at all levels and all functions within the organization.
- Ability to meet deadlines with work that is accurate and well thought out.
- Ability to organize and prioritize projects and competing deadlines in a demanding environment.
- Ability to maintain professional attitude, sense of humor, and leadership skills during times of stress.
- Self-directed and ability to work independently.
- Ability to analyze and handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Computer proficiency, including MS Office Suite; SAP and reporting tools
- Knowledge of the maritime industry preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- CPA or equivalent and 7 – 10 years’ progressively responsible experience for a large company or division of a large corporation.
- Demonstrable experience as a change agent with exposure to Lean / Continuous Improvement principles.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff and building teams
- Strong technical GAAP skills, with public accounting experience preferred.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.