Ground Support Equipment (GSE) Mechanic
Company: Northern Air Cargo
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Maintenance
Publish Date: October 1, 2021
Company Description: Northern Air Cargo (NAC), headquartered in Anchorage, is Alaska largest all-cargo airline and the longest continuously operating cargo airline in North America. NAC has provided airfreight services to Alaska’s rural communities for more than 60 years and is rapidly expanding to include air cargo flight operations throughout the western hemisphere and Hawaii. NAC maintains a fleet of Boeing 737 and 767 freighters and operates pilot bases in Anchorage, Honolulu, Miami and Laredo. NAC’s fleet of B737s provide schedule service between Anchorage and 13 Alaska communities and charter service throughout North America (both on-demand and ACMI). While the B767 fleet operates out of Miami in support of sister company StratAir and out of Honolulu in support of sister company Aloha Air Cargo.
Northern Air Cargo
The GSE Mechanic is directly responsible to the GSE Lead, the mechanic services, maintains and repairs a wide variety of ground service equipment used for support of company aircraft and buildings.
Northern Air Cargo is a subsidiary of Northern Aviation Services and part of the Saltchuk family of companies. Our mission is to provide safe, reliable aviation services for our customers and create a place for employees to build long-term careers. Northern Air Cargo services customers in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, South America and the Caribbean.
- Perform preventive maintenance inspections & servicing of company vehicles and equipment; including line trucks and vans, AC and DC generator sets, portable heaters, push back tugs, baggage tugs, belt loaders, compressors, de-icer trucks, box vans, forklifts, maintenance/stair stands and other miscellaneous equipment used in the support of aircraft and buildings.
- Troubleshoot and repair of electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems using schematics, wiring diagrams, test equipment and proper hand tools as necessary.
- Gasoline and diesel engine diagnosis and repair as necessary.
- Operates a wide variety of equipment including snow removal equipment, man lifts and forklifts.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid Alaska driver’s license with good driving record required, Class B CDL and Medical certificate preferred.
- Five years hands on experience required.
- Trade or technical school may be substituted for a portion of hands on experience.
- Experience with Aero-Tec heaters, deicer trucks, cargo loaders, forklifts, auto body repair and stick or MIG welding experience a plus.
- Previous experience with maintenance related computer programs is highly desirable.
- Must own all tools necessary to complete maintenance actions listed above.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test, 5-year background check, 10-year criminal history check and security threat assessment.
- Travel on company business for up to two weeks at a time with minimal notification.
- Regular attendance is required.
LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Ability to read, interpret and follow documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have strong troubleshooting skills in electrical, hydraulics, and mechanical systems with the ability to read and comprehend related schematics and troubleshooting charts.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Most work is performed in the maintenance hangar or outdoors.
- May be exposed to adverse weather conditions (cold and heat), wet surfaces and icy conditions.
- Will be working around stationary and moving aircraft and aircraft ground equipment
- May be required to work in confined spaces for extended periods.
- Use of personal protective equipment may be required
- Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds.
- Frequent use hands and fingers feel objects and/or handle tools.
- Frequently stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb and balance on ladders; stoop, kneel and crouch.
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
To apply for this job please visit www.nac.aero.