Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Finance
Publish Date: July 9, 2020
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
NorthStar Energy, a Saltchuk company, is seeking a current or recently graduated MBA student to join our team as an FP&A Intern. This position is expected to continue through October 30 , 2020. The ideal candidate will be pursuing their MBA in Finance, Data Analytics, or a related field. They will have strong business acumen, advanced Excel skills, experience with SQL, and a willingness to learn and take on new projects.
The FP&A Intern will have the opportunity to lead a project to drive deeper understanding of our operational cost footprint, develop insights and recommendations for improvement. This project will include the following duties:
- Meet with cross departmental teams to learn and document existing processes.
- Gather and analyze this information to create and build financial models.
- Use those financial models, identify insights and test recommendations for improvement.
- Create presentation of findings and present results to leadership.
- Document findings and creating ongoing financial reporting to track recommendations.
- Plan and organize project tasks to meet deadlines to proactively update and track progress.
- Actively seek guidance from team & solicit feedback for improvement.
- Strong commitment to excellence and personal and professional growth
- Demonstrated outstanding academic performance and an aptitude for analytics
- Strong record of initiative-taking and leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
- Resourceful, intellectually curious, empathetic, poised, high energy and mature
- Genuine interest in business and find problem solving exciting
- Enjoy working in teams
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively - both verbally and in writing