Fleet Monitoring Center Manager
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Management
Publish Date: December 10, 2018
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
The Fleet Monitoring Center provides numerous critical functions to Foss Maritime Company and to the Saltchuk family of companies. We provide 24/7 weather monitoring for all Saltchuk marine assets, 24/7 call center, fleet monitoring, incident management support, and consolidated dispatch services for Foss Maritime. As the Customer Service Manager, you are responsible for the management and direction of the center and staff. You will provide supervisory leadership of all Watchstanders. You are also responsible for the department budget, hiring, training, and management of Watchstanders, and monthly dispatch reporting for Foss regions. This position will report directly to the regional General Manager.
- Provides supervision and leadership to staff.
- Prepares monthly shift schedules.
- Collaborates with company and customer stakeholders to provide strategic direction.
- Utilizes data to evaluate safety and profitability goals for Foss Maritime Company.
- Gathers and disseminates relevant information throughout the company structure.
- This includes creating and disseminating company metrics that represent drivers of the business.
- Operates as an internal liaison with various in-house departments of Foss Maritime to ensure best in service to the customer at minimal cost to Foss.
- Work in concert with other Foss managers using a team approach.
- Assists shift personnel as needed in taking customer orders and dispatching tugs
- Manages the processes within customer service to ensure the highest level of consistency and accuracy.
- Supports other managers with daily activity reports or data as requested.
- Informs regional personnel of any operational and/or logistical issues.
- Assists regions with analyzing and quoting possible new service opportunities jobs based on tug availability and location.
- Assists in the resolution of customer service issues.
- Assists operations department with determining appropriate manning levels.
- Oversees coordination with vessel crews to ensure compliance with work hour rules and minimization of overtime.
- Oversees incident/emergency notifications and response directives.
- Facilitates MTSA communications to the company Security Officer, between company vessels and barges, federal, state and local agencies and concerned industry organizations.
- Oversees the use and operation of the Foss dispatch system.
- Prepares annual tug utilization operating budget, outside tug costs and departmental budget.
- Participate as member of incident command team, acting as incident commander when necessary.
Supervisory and Leadership of Direct Staff
- Responsible for all matters of employment including recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline and termination.
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates function and/or regional goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Processes performance evaluations in a timely, effective and fair manner.
- Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
- Applies leadership skills and motivational techniques to inspire customer service and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Establishes goals, monitors progress and results of direct reports.
- Addresses inter- and intra-department training needs and counseling, as needed.
- Processes employee evaluations in a timely manner.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must understand the process of following a job from initial customer inquiry through the billing cycle.
- Data driven processes, metrics and key performance indicators of the maritime industry
- Business writing skills.
- Customer base and customer requirements.
- Knowledge of capabilities and availability of competitor floating equipment.
- Knowledge of labor agreements and work rules for various unions.
- Knowledge of MTSA related communications, procedures and MARSEC levels.
- Should have knowledge of the maritime industry. Necessary to understand day to day vessel operations and vessel capabilities.
- Thorough understanding of company policies/procedures.
- Understand basic accounting principles, budgeting, forecasting, and financial planning processes.
- Ability to meet operational deadlines in a timely manner, without sacrificing operational priorities or customer satisfaction.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and assignments under constantly changing operational requirements and demands.
- Ability to understand, interpret and comply with government and industry regulations pertaining to barge and vessel operations.
- Ability to work at the direction of other supervisors to expedite emergency repairs, response and/or medical emergencies.
- Excellent communication and human relation skills necessary in dealing with customers (on an operational and support level), industry associations, vendors, staff and all levels of Foss employees.
- Ability to make supervisory decisions affecting the disposition of tugs and crews on a daily basis.
- Able to maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Capable of answering or following up with answers to customer’s inquiries or complaints.
- Possess basic understanding of budgeting and planning processes as well as the ability to manage implemented budgets.
- Possess ability to read, interpret and apply legal documents to ensure compliance with government regulations relating to work rules and the maritime industry.
- Presentation skills needed to illustrate, train, and advise.
- Proficient in the use of personal computers and basic software programs.
- Flexibility, strong listening skills, and change management are essential skills.
This position generally requires a college degree in business. A Maritime Academy graduate is preferred and five years of related operations/scheduling experience in the maritime industry. Five years supervisory experience is required.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.