Fleet Assurance Manager
Company: Young Brothers, Limited
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Operations, Risk Management, Safety
Publish Date: December 13, 2019
Company Description: Looking for career opportunities with a dynamic, fast-paced company that can result in long-term employment while serving the various communities in Hawaii? If you are, then consider a position with Young Brothers, Ltd. (YB) – on the forefront of the marine freight transportation business. We offer competitive salaries, benefits and future growth opportunities for both shoreside and seagoing careers. At YB, our employees are our most important resource and one of the pillars that help to support a strong foundation on which our company is built. We achieve this through seeking people who are team players, professional, motivated and committed to winning and meeting the needs of our customers and our communities.
Young Brothers, Limited
Responsible for managing the marine and terminal accident and incident investigation program. Manages, and updates and, oversees the primary marine operations database (MOD), HELM, and oversees the Vessel Management System. Performs function of assistant to the DPA. Supports the company’s safety programs through the development and continual management of the Leading Indicators Reporting and Event Information System as well as the JSA, Near Miss/Safety Observation programs among others. Reports directly to DPA.
Marine and Terminal Accident and Incident Investigations
- Manages the Event Information System (EIS), including coordination of changes to the system, training and corrections of incomplete or incorrect classifications.
- Manages and coordinates with the regional operations managers all marine accident and incident investigations.
- Tracks and follows through until resolution all accident and incident investigations and corrective actions.
- Prepares incident reports in conjunction with regional staffs and provides training as well as subject matter expertise to support the marine and shipyard managers.
- Leads high consequence incidence investigations and report development in coordination with DPA or appropriate level managers.
- Prepares Lesson Learned reports for submission and dissemination
- Prepares Safety Alerts for submission and dissemination
- Assists Marine and Terminal shipyard management in accident and incident investigation and assists in training and development of EIS requirements for shipyard activities.
- To support Operations
- Manage JSA, Near Miss/Safety Observation programs including tracking and reporting as well as elimination of redundancies and streamlining efficiencies of delivery and dissemination to the fleet.
- Develops and manages the Monthly Leading Indicator Safety Report.
- This includes improvement of formatting and keeping current with safety trends and elimination of nonconstructive metrics and inclusion of more beneficial metrics.
Vessel Management System
- Interface with Management and Vessel crews for program issues.
- Revise and create new inspection criteria.
- Manage Employee and vessel data and input of new routines for additional vessels and types.
- Interface with Vendor for all systems issues including development of increased functionality.
- Oversee issues tracking (program bugs and development issues)
Assistant to DPA
- Assist in procedural revisions and Safety Management System development.
- Manage Marine Operations Database Program (MOD) or HELM including monthly updates and program organization, update of forms and other program changes as required.
- Deployment of the MOD or HELM and updates to fleet and shoreside users.
- Perform administrative function of DPA email inbox.
- Delivers Marine Employee Training including but not limited to RCP+, STCW, BST, ISM, Deck Officer meetings.
- Administer the administrative process of the Master Review program in coordination with DPA
- Maintains Departmental information on the employee portal
- Assists DPA in development and oversight of MAG annual budget and resource requirements.
- Maintain fluency with origami system and function as the "superuser" for the HSQE department.
- Recommend practices and procedures to enhance the use of this system and improve data efficiencies for the HSQE department.
Plan Development and Implementation
- Interfaces with health, safety, quality and environmental department to develop plans, programs and policies.
- Works with Regional Managers, Port Captain/Engineers, and vessel crews, and bargaining employees in identifying areas for change, which will lead to the reduction or elimination of safety or environmental risks and hazards.
- Develops, implements and revises training for EIS systems requirements.
- Develops countermeasures to include engineering and procedural changes to reduce risks.
- Works with Human Resources and Internet Technology departments to further enhance vessel reporting and compliance systems, office processes and employee training.
Vessel and Port Visitations
- Assists Port Captains and Engineers with field monitoring and audits of various safety and environmental activities, including recognition of hazardous conditions and practices and the recommendation of control methods.
- Provides safety program reinforcement through presence aboard vessels.
- Performs on board training for operational systems, procedures and processes.
- Adheres to and re-enforce all company policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient knowledge of the marine workboat environment ? Work effectively in an office environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- Basic office procedures.
- Must be able to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to organize workload, prioritize projects in an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and with time constraints.
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards of honesty and integrity to lead by example.
This position generally requires a Bachelor's degree or a combination of education and work experience in the marine industry. Requires certification in investigative process's including root cause analysis. Candidates must be familiar with basic vessel operating practices and procedures. Experience with quality programs (ISO, ISM, RCP) is required. Must be certified in Basic First Aid / First Responder / CPR.
Young Brothers, Limited is an Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Young Brothers, Limited is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.