Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: October 20, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
This position is a key role to both support the Financial, Planning and Analysis team and learn about each aspect of FP&A through a series of rotations in each part of FP&A.
- Assist with financial analysis, reporting, month-end and quarter-end close activities, and develop forecasting and budgeting skills.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the business and the role of finance in driving business performance.
- Assess strategic, operational, and financial risk within and across the Saltchuk Marine group of companies and participate in the development, execution, and reporting of risk mitigation plans.
- Share development plans and get regular guidance from senior finance leadership.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives related to processes, revenue and expense management, and finance operations.
- Be a leader for “SpeakUp”, including encouraging peers to exhibit a safe and ethical culture.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business procedures. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from others.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such exponents, logarithms, quadratic, equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency, distribution, determination of test, reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Computer Skills: Proficient personal computer skills including email, record keeping, routine database activity, work processing, spreadsheet, graphics etc.
- Data manipulation and visualization, the ability to explain complex concepts simply, in a way that non-technical business partners will buy in to the recommendation.
- Strong competency in MS Office, especially in Excel including pivot tables; certifications or relevant coursework preferred.
- Power BI/Tableau or other data visualization experience preferred.
- SQL/R/Python or other programing/data science experience preferred.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Ability to work well with others, to partner with people who are much more senior with tact, accurate data, and show leadership by following through on commitments, clearly articulating points of view, and being genuinely interested in operations and continued learning.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
This position requires a Master’s degree in finance, accounting, economics, or business, preferable with undergrad in engineering, computer science, and statistics or similar and one year of prior experience required. One or more years of classroom and/or finance internship work experience in financial risk analysis with demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.